Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pat McGrann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 06:45 AM
    208 Volt Single phase vs 230 Volt single phase
    I have a commercial appliance that is rated for 230 volt single phase.
    All I have available is 208 volt single phase.

Will the unit work on 208V or do I have a problem?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 07:01 AM

There should be no problem. Esp if the unit is resistance heat.

230 volt heaters will not get as hot as intended when supplied by 208 volts, performance usually not noticeable.

Even motors will operate fine.

If the unit is refrigeration,there is a bit of concern.

Check with the manufacturer of the unit, so as to insure no damage will be done, and performance of the unit will be acceptable.
    choykimseng Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Can I put 3 number of air con with 1 horse power in my house that has only single phase power supply
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2011, 11:51 PM
    Many ACs are rated to run at a minimum of 190 volts before they will have a problem. You should use larger wires to supply the unit when the voltage is lower because the amperage will be higher. You need to check the documents from the manufacturer, but it should be okay. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I am new this community... You are doing great job of knowledge transfer... My question: Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply? Please clear my doubt... :confused:

How do you usually connect three single phase loads to a three phase generator? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you usually connect three single phase loads to a three phase electric generator?:)

Detail explanation of eletrical between 3 phase and single phase [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I do confuse between 3 phase and single phase,may I get some detail and comparison for each of them?

208 volt3 phase why to single phase 120 volt [ 4 Answers ]

Supply is from 75 kva transformer, 3 phase delta /y three wire feeding a 30 amp breaker. 100 feet down stream is a junction box that I want to tap and produce a 120 v single phase ( 20 amp CB) supply. The junction box feeds a 6 amp motor

3 phase 208 volt/120 volt .load [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a commercial espresso machine which has a 220 line. My existing electrical box is a 3 phase 208 volt/120 volt. Would this be sufficient to handle this?? Thank you

View more questions Search