Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Donna Bean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 04:50 AM
    NJ Law / What does "No status" for landload to enter into apartment
    What does "no status" mean for NJ in regard to land lord entering into tentants apaprtment..
    I live in an aprtment building where the super has a history of coming in tentants apartment w/o notice and stealing property...
    There has been several police reports in this building... about super behavor..

Now there is a new super... and he wants have my keys and enter anytime he wants...
    I told super and landloard... I would be glad to let them in... just give me a days notice...

Old super and wife use to steal items and re-sell them in a garage sale in the back of the building... Old super was caught drinking liquor out of bottle or tentant... police report was file...
    Building has history of super misusing power

What does the NJ "No Status" mean?

LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Where did you see or hear "no status"?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Dec 6, 2008, 07:33 AM
    I believe you mean "no STATUTE". If, yes... NJ has no statute on the exact amount of time a landlord must give before entering a unit. The law does state that reasonable notice MUST be given... and that reasonable means one day.

"When can a landlord enter?

The law allows the landlord or the landlord’s workers to go into the tenant’s dwelling only in a few special situations:

If the tenant invites or asks the landlord or one of the landlord’s workers to come in.

If the landlord needs to inspect the apartment, but only:
    at reasonable periods of time—every day is unreasonable, every few months might be okay;
    at a reasonable time of day—4 a.m. is unreasonable, 4 p.m. might be okay, depending on whether the tenant will be home at that time; and
    only after giving the tenant reasonable notice that he or she is coming to inspect. Reasonable notice usually means a written notice. It also usually means that the notice must be given at least one day before the landlord wants to come in. For buildings containing three apartments or more, there is a regulation requiring one day’s notice before a landlord can come into an apartment to make an inspection or do repairs. Cite: N.J.A.C. 5:10-5.1(c).

If the landlord or one of the landlord’s workers needs to go into the apartment to do maintenance or make repairs. If the repairs are not an emergency, they can only enter the house or apartment at a reasonable time and after giving reasonable notice.

If the landlord or the landlord’s workers need to go into the house or apartment to do emergency repairs. Under this circumstance, the landlord may not have to give one day’s notice—or even any notice—if the emergency is really serious or dangerous, for example, the apartment is on fire or water is rushing out of a broken pipe and pouring through the floor. But even in the case of an emergency, the landlord should try to give some notice if he or she can, even if the notice is just a phone call".

LSNJLAW - E: Chapter 4: Leases
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2008, 07:47 AM

Sounds like LILL may be on the mark.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't give the landlord the keys. The landlord is entitled to have access to the units in case of emergency.
    Donna Bean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 10:23 PM

Thanks to everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

Clarification on "Criteria for Dual-Status Filing" Sticky [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The "Criteria for Dual-Status Filing" sticky says that My situation is that I worked under a TN-1 visa from January to end of August, 2007 (so 240 days or so, meeting the SPT), then went back home for the remainder of the year. So I thought that I should be dual-status per Pub. 519 -...

Popup messege"Your firewall status is unknown" [ 2 Answers ]

Windows Security Centre pops a messege at startup"Your firewall status is unknown. Please check windows security centre for recommendations." My zone alarm pro loads fine but the messege refuses to go. A scan by Spybot Search and Destroy removed a spyware called" Windows Firewall Disability...

View more questions Search