Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Webby1945 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Installing a clean out
    When installing a clean out in a line from the washer to the main wasteline: should it be facing up or down?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Ideally you would install a DANDY CLEANOUT (see picture)... bidirectional... ;)

Otherwise, make so cleanout flows WITH THE DRAIN!

Good luck...

MARK
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 08:18 PM

Up. You want the cable to go toward the main line when augering, not toward the washing machine. Hope I'm reading your question correctly. If not, let me know, and ill try to explain further.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Mark, we have got to stop meeting like this. Lol Or at least let me get the first answer in once in awhile.

Great advice on the bidirectional cleanout.
    azw Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Following up on this question...
    I'm curious about the Dandy Cleanout. It looks like the Dandy Cleanout is a Tee with a screw connection? Wouldn't it be easier to use an auger (especially one that is a flat metal tape) with a Wye joint? Maybe a round auger works better on a Dandy Cleanout than a tape.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 05:27 AM
    Hi AZW...

Good question.

In fact, a TAPE SNAKE would go down a wye fitting easier... no doubt. Most people aren't using a tape snake anymore as it is so easy to rent the more flexible cable type snakes... and so much less LABOR to unclog the drain as the machines will do a lot of the work for you...

The Dandy cleanout is great at the base of a waste stack... can go up or down the pipe to clear a blockage. A wye fitting is used for changes of direction in between the dandy cleanout and the main drain itself.

If you think you would opt. more for the tape snake then by all means install the wye fittings.. they do the job, too!

Good day!

MARK
    azw Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Thanks, Mark. Great answer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing sewer clean out yourself? Can it be done? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband wants to install our sewer clean out himself. I don't want it to sound like he is not handy, but... Anyway, the sewer repair technician quoted a price of $1300 to do the job. My husband says he can do it himself. He talked to a friend of his that is a plumber who told him what parts...

What does clean out look like [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the clean out located and what does it look like, also how do get into it to snake it

How to clean an a/c by yourself [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to clean my air conditioner myself it smells awful. What would I use to do so. I could spray it with the hose outside would that be enough using just water, or do I need anything else to kill the smell.

Locating and installing clean out [ 2 Answers ]

I need to locate my main drain so that I can install a clean out. Can you help with how to locate the main drain and then what I need to do to install a clean out?

Clean up [ 1 Answers ]

Sometimes after downloading something a"clean up" button appears. What is this & should I select it? Thks, noboat

View more questions Search