Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1456 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 06:49 PM
    TMJ or other?
    For two years I've had this condition where my ears are always popping. It happens when I swallow, but also when I'm not doing anything. Other than that, when I open my mouth wide there is a clicking sound. I have no other symptoms of TMJ, no pain, headaches, or locking of the jaw. Although 2-3 times there has been a loud pop accompanied with a strange sensation on the side of my mouth, when opening wide. I can't determine if this is TMJ, or water in my ears. When I had health insurance, I went in three separate times and saw different doctors. They seemed to agree with me about it being water in the ears, though they may have taken this assessment for granted, since the visits were short and no x-rays were taken. I'm inclined to think that it is TMJ. I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on this, for those who have experience.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2008, 07:10 PM

TMJ is usually accompanied with pain, severe pain when chewing or opening your mouth. I had TMJ so I can tell you from what you've said above, you don't have TMJ. TMJ is usually caused by an injury to the face/jaw or can come from grinding your teeth at night. What you have is just what the doctors said you have - water in your ears.

If you are still convinced you have TMJ you need to consult with a dentist who specializes in this and let him determine if you do in fact have TMJ. It is determined by a dentist - not a medical doctor. I was treated for TMJ due to an injury by a dentist who specialized in this. I had severe jaw pain, severe face pain, headaches from hell, and unable to properly chew my food without pain and could not open my mouth more than 1" without having severe pain.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 07:58 PM

Your jaw is attached to your head by two joints... a person can crack them like they crack their knuckles.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 03:33 PM

If you have true TMJ you DO have pain. This is what alerts you to the problem. Anytime your body exhibits pain it means that something is wrong. If you did not have pain, then chances are pretty good you don't have TMJ and don't need treatment.

Just because your joint "clicks" when you open your mouth is quite normal. If you had x-rays taken the dentist (not doctor) would be able to advise you one way or another.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search