Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Role of Women
    Do you believe God really intended for women to carry attaché cases and drive BMWs to work? Are they fulfilling the mission God designed them for by doing this?
    KK2 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 06:56 PM
    What do you think?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 4, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Do you believe God really intended for women to carry attache cases and drive BMWs to work? Are they fulfilling the mission God designed them for by doing this?
    I believe the Creator gave women the ability to make their own decisions and the wisdom and intelligence to follow their own path in life. Their choices are there own, from what they believe to what they do as are a mans. I see no difference between man and woman except for the roles they play in propagating the human race. One is no more important than the other and they must both work together to advance life on this planet. Just my humble opinion.:cool:
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 07:33 PM
    People might not agree with this opinion. I might get a lot of disagreement. My personally feeling that many women now a days pass the marriage, husband and children just to forward their career. That is fine and everybody has that choice. When a family gets involved though I do believe that at least one parent should be home with the child. The family of both parents working and not really raising children is causing many problems in children. I know that is not exactly the question you asked greasemonkey, but I think that is what you were trying to get at. Am I right?

Joe
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Wish mine did then I would not have to ( work, still drive the old chev

But knowing that I will get a lot of heat, women and men are made different, different size over all, their organs are not the same size, there are different hormones and I understand even brain functions differ.

So God made them different than men, not saying they can't do anything, but saying we are different. Men and women are made to work as a team as husband and wife, where the strenghts of one works with the weakness of the other, and the opposite traits for the other.

While of course though out history various women worked, and esp those that did not work out of the home.

And I will agree that when there are small children, it is so very important for one of the family to be at home, or at least have a way for the child to be with a parent at their place of work, ( small business at times)
    This sounds offensive to many in today's society because everyone believes they have some special right ( one of the faults of a democratic society) and that their own right is more important than an overal family or social or society need.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Fr_Chuck,

I would have to agree with you. Yes, in today's society. Anybody with those views probably would feel the heat. There are defiantly differences and yes women and man are made differently. God does have purposes for each.

Joe
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 08:18 PM
    I tend to agree with a number of you. Today's woman is, more than ever, accommodating culture and the cost to the family and society is huge. Family problems are getting worse, rather than better. I feel if women would study the Bible, understand the role God intended for them to perform, read about the Bible's truly Godly women, such as Sarah, Naomi, and Ruth, among others, they would realize that the path many of them are choosing is not good. The Bible is repleat with great role models for women. God will review their lives in light of the role He intended for them to perform.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 4, 2006, 08:44 PM
    If only it were that simple. But the men have accommodated the culture as well so if the women were to change, don't the men then have to change correspondingly? And the economy too, since it would lose a good portion of the work force? And probably our foreign policies too since we'll be affecting foreign markets too? We are all in this together and I don't think its really that simply. Especially since there are other beliefs too, ones that are not bible based at all... it's a small world now so what of those women? A good idea means it needs to be pratical to implement it too and this one doesn't hit me as do-able.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 4, 2006, 08:54 PM
    Val, I got the spread the love message, but I totally agree with you here. Let's look at the economy... I would have loved to stay home with the kids, but the economy makes it so that I had to work.

As for staying home with the kids. I would have loved that also, but coming from a family of early elementary teachers, 4 teachers below 5th grade level, they all say that the children who go to preschool are more socialized and ready for the school environment. Oops that was another thread.

Back to the role of women, I think here in the US, we can thank Gloria Steinem for a lot that has happened with society today.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 08:58 PM
    It begins one family at a time! Personally, I have a hard time imagining Boaz allowing Ruth to be an F-15 fighter pilot, family lawyer, or CEO. Yes, many husbands have abdicated their role as spiritual leader of the household and have failed to treat their wives with love and respect. It's time for men and women to assume their proper roles and to start anew.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 4, 2006, 09:53 PM
    Do you believe God really intended for women to carry attache cases and drive BMWs to work? Are they fulfilling the mission God designed them for by doing this?

Both man and woman had the same mission.

Genesis 2:18
    And the LORD God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”

The mission given mankind is described in the following way.

Genesis 1:28
    Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Notice that God is speaking to both of them not just Adam.

The animals were to be taken care of, the earth gradually made into a global paradise, Eden would be the focal point from which it would spread, and the earth would be populated. Unfortunately both sinned, were barred from the Eden, and the transformation of earth into a paradise was put temporarily on hold.

This is clear from the following words:

Genesis 3: 17

... “ Cursed is the ground for your sake;
    In toil you shall eat of it
    All the days of your life.

18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
    And you shall eat the herb of the field.

19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
    Till you return to the ground,
    For out of it you were taken;
    For dust you are,
    And to dust you shall return.”

In short both disqualified themseives to carry out that noble mission when they rebelled.

23 therefore the LORD God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken.

NKJV
    Expert

Jul 4, 2006, 09:53 PM
    The world has changed and what was good way back when may not be the way to deal with what is now. Yes you can blame the many things on the economy or the changing lifestyles that confront us but the fact remains that even though there are many things and changes before us man and woman must still work together to raise the family and educate the children so they can in turn carry the human race to a better role. You can also look at the world and point to all kinds of bad things but to not see the good is not in my opinion a realistic view of the real world. As a leader of my family I think all young women be taught to not only love their family and raise their children but to also aspire to do all their ability and imagination allows them to do and most of all not to be subservient to anyone. My role as MAN is to love, respect, teach, inspire and encourage the very best of those under my wing. For that reason I disagree with the statement "Its time for men and women to assume their proper roles and to start anew" And just because a wife has the talents to be a lawyer AND a good wife and mother doesn't mean that the husband has abdicated his role as a spiritual leader and failed to treat their wives with love and respect. The opposite is true. This is NOT the world that BOAZ lived in and I doubt that Ruth would be any less a good wife if she did fly an F15. A real MAN is one that listens as well as advises, encourages, and loves ,guides as well as protects. You can blame the ills of the world on anything you want, but to return to the good old days of wifey with the hot meal waiting is... a little unrealistic if she has a masters in law! Does that intimidate you guys? Get over it! Just my humble opinion.:cool: ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 10:24 PM
    Tal,

I stated, that at least one parent should be at home with a child. Even in my workplace there is actually men that take parental leave, or maternity leave. To stay home. The wife then takes the role of working outside of the home. It is all individual choice. I do believe that society was a better place years ago. That is in the past and we have a new society. I do see it failing in many ways. At the same time like you said it is not all negative as well. About the statement about how the men and women need to be in their proper roles, well to each individual that role can be different. Depending on the situation. To have somebody say it is not the right role that is a matter of opinion or especially stems from religion beliefs. Which there is nothing wrong with having them. I for one, would like to see at least one parent at home for raising children and I do think it would make a difference in the future generation.

Joe
    Expert

Jul 4, 2006, 10:50 PM
    My wife was working when we got married but quit to have our son and we talked and decide that even though we had a lot of choices for babysitting she wanted to stay home and raise our son which I had to agree with !00%. The next year brought my daughter and things worked out great. We didn't have a lot of money but we managed to stay within our budget and make ends meet so I have no regrets about not having a corvette, but I did have good well raised kids who are adults with children of their own. Yes every family has to decide how their household should go and how best their roles are to be filled. I try not to think what I do is any better than what any one else does though I do feel very strongly about a Person being all they can be. This new world that is quickly changing is scary but it is also exciting and challenging, I tend to be an optimist but I see a lot of good things that outweigh the bad, JUST me!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2006, 12:03 AM
    Couldn't spread the love but wanted to say - Tal and Jesushelper you both state very good points and I agree with you both!
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Role of men:
    . Spiritual leader
    . Provider
    . Defender

Moses, Daniel, Caleb, Joshua, King David, and, of course, Jesus are good examples for men.

Role of women:
    . Helpmates
    . Nurturers

Sarah, Naomi, Ruth, Esther, and Proverbs 31 are good examples for women.
    Expert

Jul 5, 2006, 06:46 AM
    Role of men:
    . Spiritual leader
    . Provider
    . Defender

Moses, Daniel, Caleb, Joshua, King David, and, of course, Jesus are good examples for men.

Role of women:
    . Helpmates
    . Nurturers

Sarah, Naomi, Ruth, Esther, and Proverbs 31 are good examples for women.
    What roles do you assign to single parent households with the divorce rate at 50%?
    Can a man not be a helpmate or a nurturer?
    Can a woman be a provider or spiritual leader?
    If a woman has skills and talent and wanted to use them shouldn't a man support her?
    What happens to these roles when the children leave the nest?
    What happens to these roles when the man dies, or is disabled?
    What happens to these roles if there are no children?
    Should the woman's opinion be considered when these roles are defined ?
    What should a man do if a woman wants to be more than just a helpmate?
    In today's world what is it the man is defending his family against?

Society today has blurred the traditional role of women and men but I think if man and women work together for the good of family the benefits far out weigh the consequences.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Talaniman, I don't think you will ever get it. You can't keep accommodating culture. The cause of many divorces is because men and women are not fulfilling their proper role in society.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Today's woman is, more than ever, accomodating culture and the cost to the family and society is huge. Family problems are getting worse, rather than better. I feel if women would study the Bible, understand the role God intended for them...
    Sadly reading the bible won't fix the problem with families. The problem exists because americans are caught in a nasty consumerism/materialistic downward spiral as it relates to the family. I have no problems with women in the workforce, in fact I love well-educated, smart women. The problem exists when both parents put the parenting on the back burner in order to work like dogs to have a McMansion and a 42" plasma TV. Yes you can be a woman, work and be a great mother. It's all about priorities and balance. The world today is not like it was 2000 years ago nor is it like the days of our parents where the man had a job for life with a great pension - we adjust to the times.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 5, 2006, 07:10 AM
    With reference to Post #16, there is one word that sums up this view perfectly antiquated !!

Tx please try and join the rest of us in the 21st Century.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Women are Jerks too [ 10 Answers ]

When a women breaks up with a guy, why does she still remember him even after years have passed? It could be from 2-10 years or a life time, and still she will never forget about him. Why do they want to get back with him? Is that why most women want to remain friends just in case the grass wasn't...

Ideal Role / Future Career Aspirations [ 6 Answers ]

Ideal Role / Future Career Aspirations is one of the questions on the Candidate Registration form I have been given to fill out for tomorrow. I have no clue what to write at all.

Role playing game fans [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently come across a game call chrono trigger for the snes on my PC, and its so good that I can't believe that I have not come across it before. Can anyone name me good roms for the snes and sega so I don't miss out on them. I've got the final fantasy games , all zeldas, secret of mana ,...

Social Work-Child Residence Programs-Role of Fathe [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is an MSW and is the Residence Manager at a home for troubled children. The programs she manages within the residential setting are: Residential Treatment, Family Therapy, Parent Group, Continuing Service (after the child leaves the residence), School Advocacy and Psychiatric...

Women [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate is so lazy its sick. If it doesn't come easy he won't do it. But the women seem to like him. Don't know why. He's even scared to go and talk to them. I don't think I'm the cutest guy by far, but I don't think I look that bad either. I not afraid to talk to women. But for some odd...

View more questions Search