Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thepoint Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 11:07 AM
    How do I replace a pvc/abs closet flange that has been improperly installed?
    The flange is installed at leaste 1/2 in. off level causing the toilet to rock back and forth.The floor is ceramic tile over concrete.How can this glued in place flange be removed so a new one can be properly installed. Thank you
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Hi TP...

You are sure it is the flange that is out of level and not the floor.. right? Have you lifted the toilet and actually confirmed that the flange is the issue? Let me know.

Basically, if there is enough room between the flange and the fitting underground you may be able to cut the old flange out using an INSIDE PIPE CUTTER (see picture) inside a drill and then use a coupling and install a new flange.

Looking down inside the 3" pipe you would need a minimum of 4.5" of pipe to be able to cut the pipe 3" up from the bottom of the pipe and install a coupling. Then you could use a STREET closet flange (hubless) into the coupling to fix issue.

If 4" pipe and you have a minimum of 6" of pipe then you may be able to cut the pipe 4" up from the bottom of the pipe and install a DEEP Twist and set or a set and screw type closet flange that fits inside the pipe itself (see picture). That would work nicely here... IF ENOUGH PIPE.

Most likely there will not be extra pipe length needed in between the fittings, so really need to check the numbers out.

Let me know what you think here...

MARK
    Attached Images

thepoint Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi TP...

You are sure it is the flange that is out of level and not the floor..right?? Have you lifted the toilet and actually confirmed that the flange is the issue?? Let me know.

Basically, if there is enough room between the flange and the fitting underground you may be able to cut the old flange out using an INSIDE PIPE CUTTER (see picture) inside a drill and then use a coupling and install a new flange.

Looking down inside the 3" pipe you would need a minimum of 4.5" of pipe to be able to cut the pipe 3" up from the bottom of the pipe and install a coupling. Then you could use a STREET closet flange (hubless) into the coupling to fix issue.

If 4" pipe and you have a minimum of 6" of pipe then you may be able to cut the pipe 4" up from the bottom of the pipe and install a DEEP Twist and set or a set and screw type closet flange that fits inside the pipe itself (see picture). That would work nicely here...IF ENOUGH PIPE.

Most likely there will not be extra pipe length needed in between the fittings, so really need to check the numbers out.

MARK
    Thank you for your help. I did remove the toilet and the flange is installed as described. The pipe is 3" and startes its bend 4 1/2-4 3/4" below the top of the flange. The 1 1/2" drain from the adjacent bath tub enters the 3" pipe approx. 5 1/2' below the top of the flange.As you indicated, there is not enough extra pipe to make the repairs as suggested. What are my options at this point?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
    If you have a STREET FLANGE, i.e. a flange that fits INSIDE a fitting then you may be able to use a RAM BIT tool (see picture below... it is a pipe reamer/remover... sold only at plumbing supply house, most likely) to remove the old flange. Here, you would remove the old metal ring around the top of flange (use aviation snips or grinder if needed... wear goggles) and then using a sawzall with an 8" bimetal sawzall blade cut the plastic flange flush with the floor. Then you would set the ram bit in a drill, set it inside the remaining part of the flange and remove it down to the hub.

Check out this link on the pipe hog (similar to the ram bit):

Pipe Hog PVC-ABS Fitting Reamer

If your flange is a REGULAR FLANGE and you have no room as discussed then you would be best to cut off the old metal ring and cut the pipe down and then see if you can fit an OATEY 3" twist and set flange (or similar). Here, the pipe must be flush with the floor and then the twist and set flange gets set into the 3" pipe and is twisted down until fit is tight. You may need to cut this flange down an inch or two.

Check it out at:

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...Set_Flange.pdf

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hole in floor is larger than closet flange, and the flange may be too low [ 3 Answers ]

We recently put down ceramic tile in one of our bathrooms. A friend of ours did the job for almost nothing, as he had most of the required supplies left over from another job, including tile. Now there is water leaking from the base of the toilet. After scouring the DIY sites on the internet, I...

Remove, replace leaded closet flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am new here. I have a broken closet flange that is not screwed to the floor, but leaded to the soil pipe. Home built in late 20's. Is there a safe way to remove and replace it. Flange looks to be of cast iron like the soil pipe?

How to replace closet flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing the entire subfloor in an existing bathroom. The reason is that the floor is currently not level. My question has to do with the existing closet flange. I have removed the subfloor, so I have full view of everything under it now. The closet flange is connected to a 3" white PVC...

Improperly installed toilet flange [ 7 Answers ]

We recently bought a house that was built in 1994. I believe the previous owner did some "improvements" - and none too well, including installing new tile in the bathroom. Here's the problem: The toilet was leaking and then came completely loose, so I called the warranty company who sent out...

Repair/replace pvc closet flange [ 4 Answers ]

The toilet in the attached apartment needed a new wax ring because of leakage.After the toilet was removed I found a broken pvc closet flange.It was broken where the flange bolt slides in it's slot.It looks like someone glued a 4" closet flange on a stub of 3" pvc that is 3.5" long.The other end of...

View more questions Search