Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:31 AM

I don't know if they can but apparently they have.

Take your written notification of the date to the Court - that's your defense.

If it's your word against the Clerk's word you are going to lose.

EDIT: OP is not hearing the advice given on this same problem on his/her other threads. Should be combined.

Asked and answered.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 06:44 AM

Hello s:

You can't be arrested in a civil case. If they DO arrest you, then YOU'RE going to have a case against them.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 07:10 AM

Sorry, Excon - I should have posted this earlier. OP has told this story over a number of posts. He/she has already been warned that if he/she does NOT appear there will a warrant issued. It involves a Judgment and failure to produce financial info. This is an exception, same as if you don't appear to testify.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...on-375366.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2009, 07:16 AM

First, I have merged all your threads since they seem to deal with the same issue. Please do not start a new thread with a follow-up question.

Second, I have NEVER heard of an arrest warrant issued for small claims court. Nor for any civil action about a debt. If you fail to appear for a hearing, then a default judgement is entered against you, end of story.

If you file a motion to vacate on the grounds of improper service, you will have to prove you were not served as the process server claimed.

But the idea of a bench warrant issued for someone's arrest because they didn't show up for a hearing on a civil suit is ludicrous.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... I have NEVER heard of an arrest warrant issued for small claims court. Nor for any civil action about a debt. If you fail to appear for a hearing, then a default judgement is entered against you, end of story.
    In Wisconsin, the debtor has to complete and return a financial disclosure statement within 21 days after the judgment is entered. If they fail to do so, the creditor can file for a contempt hearing.

I have to assume that's what the OP is dealing with; a hearing was scheduled for contempt of court, they never showed up for it, now there's a warrant.. Just a thought.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    In Wisconsin, the debtor has to complete and return a financial disclosure statement within 21 days after the judgment is entered. If they fail to do so, the creditor can file for a contempt hearing.

I have to assume that's what the OP is dealing with; a hearing was scheduled for contempt of court, they never showed up for it, now there's a warrant....? Just a thought.
    That's a possibility. Especially if you read the whole thread. But the contempt citation is apart from the initial case.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 03:33 PM

Sounds to me like the Judgment has been granted, creditor is unable to collect, creditor wants financial info, OP refuses to provide it and was advised some time ago that failure to comply is contempt.

This is somewhat similar to being subpoenaed to Court and refusing to go - you CAN be arrested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue of Limitation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the Statue of Limitation for creidt card debt ( in Collections) in Florida?

Statue of limitation [ 1 Answers ]

How long do they have to charge you with a violation of probation

Statue of limitation [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitation on statutory rape? Also, the time of limitation has passed, what other way can you charge some one with statutory rape against a 14 year old, if they were 25 at the time?

Statue of Limitation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of Limitation on a DUI charge in BC or Canada. I have a warrant out of my arrest in BC. I didn't even know about it until I was pulled over in Alberta. I was under the impression from the cop that I talked to on the phone that I had taken care of all of that mess. But then I...

View more questions Search