Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    largoaleman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    IMHO, the company has no legal standing to collect back FICA taxes for 2007. They lose that right once the date goes past 31 January 2008.

Now, if you AGREE to make the back payments, the IRS will not make the company give you the money back.

Further, if you choose to FIGHT the company;s assessment of the 2007 taxes, they probably will find a reason to terminate you from your current work position, so you have to decide if this is worth losing your job over.

One clarification: So since my employer brought this issue up in Dec-08 and changed my paycheck in Jan-09, you think they can ask for the '08 amounts? Even though I ohnly heard about the back taxes I owe via email on Feb 2 and still haven't received an official statement from the company?

Thanks...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Yes, that is exactly what I think. No official statement is required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fica & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Our employee has an H-1 Visa - do I deduct fica & medicare?

Is it illegal for an employer to deduct wages. [ 5 Answers ]

Recently a package wasn't mailed properly and my boss said that since we had to resend the package I had to pay for it:mad: personally or it would be deducted out of my check... can anyone tell me where I can find information on the legality of this situation... I live in an at will employement...

If FICA, why FICA Medicare? [ 2 Answers ]

I work for UPS and I always wondered if I pay FICA, then why do I have to pay FICA Medicare?

Employer did not deduct SS / Medicare [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I informed my employer that I was working on F-1 / OPT and asked whether that made me exempt from SS and Medicare. They thought so, and consequently my W2 for 2007 is blank in these fields, and I haven't paid either. However, this is my 7th year in the US, and I filed taxes (pretty much...

Can employer deduct SS &Medicare taxes while on F1? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've been reading through previous posts & while there are some similarities to my situation, I think there are some key differences and I would appreciate any help I can get on this matter. I graduated from graduate school in Massachusetts in June 2005 and thus, have been on F1 visa...

View more questions Search