Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekkajo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 06:07 PM
    Awesome Ex
    My now ex wife cashed three checks that were solely in my name.. we were still married but separate and she forged my signature without my knowledge and deposited almost 2500 dollars into her bank account. This was about 9 months ago and I just barely found out. Can I still prosecute her for forgery?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2008, 03:26 PM

You can't prosecute her but the state can. Contact your bank and inform them that you never signed the checks.

Of course, it's only illegal if her name wasn't on the checking account.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 09:21 AM

Yes. The DA needs to be informed of her actions if she was not on the account. She could spend 6 months in jail for her theft. Bring along the original forged check to the DA's office.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 08:56 AM

After re-reading the OP's original question, I'm wondering if we misunderstood. The question reads:
    "... cashed three checks that were solely in my name."

She's not allowed to sign for a check that's not made out to her, so I suppose it really has no bearing whether she was on the account or not. She signed something that wasn't hers.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 09:11 AM

You didn't ask about how to recover the money you lost, but perhaps this would help: If your divorce is not yet final you should include the value of what she took from you in the calculations for splitting assets. If the divorce is already final, you can sue your ex in small claims court to recover the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for Awesome Toy's Name [ 4 Answers ]

They were action figures that traveled on zip lines and you could hang them up on things and make the men and vehicles travel over the zip lines. This would have been early nineties. Please!! Help me.

Edward is awesome [ 16 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone else like edward from the Twilight saga. I do, but there seems to be very few...

This is awesome! [ 4 Answers ]

I suppose I could've put this under entertainment, but I thought humour was as good of a place as any. This guy is so cool, for those that haven't seen this, and worth a second look for those that have. KW-3KwXpkkM Amazing Hand Shadow show by Raymond Crowe

View more questions Search