Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sykes Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Gifted property to an non-resident, what tax at time of sale?
    I have a condo that I am thinking of gifting to my mother. I am a green card holder, my mother is a non-resident. What would happen if/when my mother chooses to sell the condo?

Would she pay tax on the gains and would the gains be considered the full selling price as the condo was gifted to her?

Or does it make more scene for me to keep hold of the condo and allow my mother to have exclusive use.

Thanks for any advise and please let me know if I need to clarify any issues?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 05:34 AM

You must file gift tax return if the gift amount exceeds $12,000.

If the condo is in the U.S. any profit from sale is subject to U.S. taxes. She may exclude gain of up to $250,000 if she lived in the condo for two years and owned the condo for two years in last 5-years.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 11:17 AM
    In my opinion, you would do better to retain the condo and allow your mother to have exclusive use. That way, you still own it when and if she no longer has a need for it.

You can even rent it to her and claim the rental income and allowable deductions using Schedule E. Under most circumstances, the combination of mortgage interest, property taxes and the depreciation of the property will result in a paper loss on your tax return, which can reduce other income sources provided you do not make more than about $150,000 per year.

To be legal, though, you must treat your mother as if she was a stranger, meaning you would need a lease and monthly payment of the rent. The IRS closely reviews any return where blood relatives are tenants.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 06:31 PM

If you gift to your mother she will need to pay tax on the gain. The purchasers of the property will be required to withhold 10% of the purchase price (under the FIRPTA rules) and your mother will have to obtain a U.S. ITIN and file a U.S. tax return.

Dec 6, 2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks guys, it sounds like the best idea is just to keep the property in my name and let Mum uses as she wishes.

Can I ask a slightly different question but along the same lines. My Mum has owned a vacation home in FL for many years (5+), what would happen if/when she were to pass away and bequeath it to me, as she plans to do? Are there different estate rules for non-res vs residents?
    Tax Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 08:30 AM

U.S. estate taxes are one of the biggest concerns with foreigners owning U.S. real property. Upon your mother's passing, the U.S. real property would be subject to U.S. estate tax and the exemption for a nonresident alien is only $60,000. The estate tax rates get high fast.

If she gifts the property to you, any amount in excess of $12,000 would be subject to U.S. gift tax (no $1,000,000 exemption from gift taxes for nonresident aliens).

Dec 6, 2008, 08:40 AM

Is there a good tactic to use to minimize the estate tax burden on real property, would it help if the property was owned by a trust that is offshore?
    Tax Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 08:44 AM

There is no single good tactic. Each has its own costs/risks. Some sophisticated structures use offshore trusts but can be expensive to set up and maintain, and often the trust should be the original owner of the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entry for purchase and sale of property for sale [ 5 Answers ]

I purchase an apartment for $ 1.7m and paid first instalmment of 250k ,Before the second installment I sell the apartment at the value of 1.9m .Please tell me how to record the journal entry .

North Carolina Non-Resident Vs Part-time resident [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased a second home in North Carolina in July. I stayed a week in NC and went back to my main home in Florida. In September I put our condo in Florida for sale. At the end of September I got a job in NC. I quite my job in Florida and start working in NC end of September. Our condo sold...

Non resident or part time resident of Mass. [ 3 Answers ]

I am in Massachusetts from 23 August till 31 December 2006, as a F1 student , so am I a non resident or a part time resident or both. Please answer me if you have any idea. Thanks

Part time resident or dual resident [ 1 Answers ]

In May of 2006, my then fiancée (now wife) and I moved from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. She changed her residency to Pennsylvania, however because of my work in NJ, I continued to maintain my apartment and residency status in NJ. We got married in July and now we are planning to file our federal...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search