Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    021483 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Just Married, Multi-State Tax Filing
    Facts:

I work in VA.

I lived in VA for 6 months and moved to Washington, DC, mid-way through the year.

I got married in November; my wife lives and works in Baltimore, MD.

I plan on moving to Baltimore, but I have not yet moved there, and won't be technically moving there until the new year.

We plan on doing our federal taxes as married filing jointly.

Question(s): Do we have to file separate returns for each state? Can we file jointly for all states (VA, DC, MD)? If so, how is this done? It is all quite murky to me and I don't want to screw it up somehow. Any advice/guidance on how to do this correctly?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 01:49 PM
    You will file THREE state returns: VA, DC and MD.

You will file jointly in each, but pay taxes ONLY on income earned while living in each particular region.

It IS complicated, which is why you should probably use an experienced tax pro to make sure it is done correctly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multi-State Filing for Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon! Here is my situation: I've lived in New Jersey for 3 years or so. I never switched my driver's license or permanent address because I commuted from my house in Pennsylvania. Now I work in Manhattan, and both my W-2s are representative of my NJ address. I'm trying to figure...

Married Filing Federal Joint State Separate [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married in Sept 2007, I work in NY and my wife works in NJ. We both presently live in NY. Before we were married my wife lived in NJ. I want to file my federal return jointly and my NY and NJ State return separate because of an increase in the return. Is that possible?

Married Filing Jointly Vs Separarely - Federal Vs State [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live and work in OH. I got married in June 2007. My wife lived in NJ until Aug 2007 and moved from NJ to OH in Aug 2007. If I choose to file jointly for federal tax returns, do I need to file jointly for OH and NJ state returns? If I have a choice for the state returns, which one should I...

Married But Filing Separatly In different state. [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, My husband and I got married November 19th, 2005. In september 2007, we moved from New York State to Washington State. In Oct 2007, I took my (now 16 month old) daughter and came back to nys due to domestic violence case. Anyways, We are NOT divorced and we are NOT legally separated. He...

Married filing federal jointly and state separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Need to clarify something. I was a resident of Texas and my wife was a resident of California in 2006. We now live in California. I moved over here last week of December 2006 but did not start working here till the first week of Jan 2007. All my income in 2006 was in TX and my wife's in...

View more questions Search