Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toridarden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 10:04 AM
    I-9 Documentation
    What is the law regarding I-9 verification? Is the employer required to keep a copy of the documents provided?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 10:28 AM

Form I-9 is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) form. All individuals employed in the United States must complete a Form I-9. The employer will provide the Form I-9. The I-9 verifies the individual's employment eligibility to work in the United States. Salary cannot be paid until the I-9 has been satisfied.

Both parties should maintain their own copies.
    toridarden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Thank you for your answer. I guess my question is the requirement of keeping a copy of the driver license, birth certificate, s.s. card etc... If an HR department is audited and they do not have copies of these items to support the information on the I-9 will they be penalized?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supporting documentation [ 3 Answers ]

Are there businesses online that I can order supporting documentation like 1099 and w-2's If so where can I find them. I need a pretty quick turn around

GAL and Documentation [ 1 Answers ]

We have a GAL. For many, many years, I was always told to document, document, document, well I document, document, document like it is going out of style. Seriously, I have almost made this a part time job doing all this documenting. I am documenting all the occurrences my ex does with my kids,...

Portuguese documentation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... my name is Abida,I currently stay in zimbabwe,my father was Portuguese Goan. I would like to rec laim my fathers citizenship for myself and family. I have lost my fathers birth cirtificate and all documentation relating to this. Could you please assist me in obtainig these documents in...

View more questions Search