Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blazenby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Pre-existing Conditions when switching from Individual insurance to group coverage
    I currently have MS and have been treated for such under my individual health insurance plan ( I do not work and my husband is self-employed). If he gets a job working for a company and we switch our insurance plan to a group/employer covered plan, will my MS be considered a pre-existing condition and what do I need to be aware of before switching?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 01:02 PM

Yes, it would be considered a preexisting condition as you had this condition before getting their insurance. The best bet in your case would be to wait until the employer has an "open enrollment" period and have hubby get the insurancee then. In open enrollment periods pre-existing conditions are generally covered. Have him check this out before he signs up for any insurance with his new job.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Dec 5, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Typically a new hire is a qualifying event. Meaning that once you meet the waiting period the employer has set for new hires you can enroll in the plan and not need to wait for the annual open enrollment.
    As long as you have had uninterrupted creditable coverage of a similar type. A group could only exclude coverage for a pre existing condition for a period of 12 months after your enrollment date. And that will be offset by your current creditable coverage.
    So you should have no waiting period for coverage as long as you keep what you have now until your spouse is on his new plan
    Thase are Federal HIPAA regs some states do not allow Pre X at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double medical insurance coverage [ 7 Answers ]

Is it illegal to have double coverage medical insurance. For example; can one person have two Kaiser plans so they don't have to pay any copays?

Health Insurance disqualifications for pre-existing conditions [ 2 Answers ]

If a person is voluntarily terminated, currently receiving COBRA benefits and takes a new position, is the new employers health insurance provider legally allowed to disqualify the individual for a pre-existing condition?

Cobra Insurance Coverage [ 2 Answers ]

I will be leaving my current employer in one week. I will be starting with my new company immediately. I will lose my health care benefits the day I quit my current employer, and will not pick up my new coverage for 1 month. My question is what are the rules on COBRA retroactive? For...

Insurance coverage for apartments - change in law [ 3 Answers ]

During the past snow storm, one of our tenants fell on some black ice in the parking lot. We did everything possible to plow and salt the area, but it was an extremely bad snow storm, considered the worst since the 90s. Hasn't there been a recent change in the law regarding responsibility when an...

Consignment Store Insurance Coverage [ 1 Answers ]

Where in North Carolina can I get property and liability coverage for my consignment children's store?

View more questions Search