Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barachiel Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Low Hot Water Pressure --All faucets
    Title says it all. I read and reread all the other posts asking this same question but am still unsure so let me lay it all out.

I am on city water using an electric HW heater. I have recently noticed a drastic drop in pressure on the hot side only (all faucets /showers). When I first turn the hot water on I have full pressure but after 30 -45 seconds I have a slow trickle (les than 1/4 of normal pressure). The first thing I did was drain the HW tank and put a wet/dry vac on blow at the highest faucet in the house. Oddly, no change! I placed a bucket to capture water from the HW heater drain and never saw particulates (no sand, etc). Next I turned the water back on slowly and watched the drain... no discoloration again. I let it run for about an hour to make sure the HW heater was completely flushed (and even turned the drain off twice to let the HW heater fill and re-drain). I never saw a single particulate. Hooked it all back up, cut the HW heater back on and I'm in the same situation. My question is this... did I miss anything or is there anything else I should check before cutting the HW pipe from the tank to the first junction (since this is where I would assume the clog would be)?

Thanks!
    -Don

And I forgot to mention if this helps.. HW pipes are pvc.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 12:10 PM

It is only hot water correct if both remove the Aerators open the faucets see the flow, clean the screens on the Aerators install and see if it is Ok, other wise check your heater if the heat traps or installed if they are you may need to replace them, good luck.

John

Dec 4, 2008, 12:22 PM

Thanks for your response John. I don't aerators are a problem (I even used a blower to back push a clog into the HW heater from the faucet furthest away). Since the pressure is exactly the same on all faucets it has to be a system problem (HW heater, main pipe coming from HW heater, etc). I'm not sure what a heat trap is though. I am guessing it is inside the HW heater?

-Don
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 12:50 PM

The heat traps are the nipples installed at the inlet and out let of the water heater, some plumbers don’t like to install it, see the images below if you find them installed on your heater I would suggest to remove and replace them with the regular nipples see the image, unless some one else has a better idea, good luck.

Regards,
    John
    Attached Images

Dec 4, 2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks for all your help! I don't remember seeing these connectors but I'll check for sure when I get home.
    -Don
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 01:08 PM

Hi Don,
    How old is your heater? if you don't find the heat traps installed then it may be the dip tube failure, or the element failure open the link below and you will see how the dip tube works. Thanks.

John

How a water heater dip tube works and what it looks like.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 01:16 PM

Hi don,

Here are some other causes for not having hot water, let me know if you need any more help,good luck,

John

Only 5 minutes

Dec 4, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Thanks again for your answer John but I think we are looking at it from 2 different angles. I don't have a problem with running out of hot water. The only problem I have is low hot water pressure. If I let it run I have enough hot water for a normal shower but the pressure is low. That's why I am leaning towards a clog between the HW heater and the first junction in the pipe. Make sense?
    -Don
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 01:21 PM

Don,

Dis regard my post #6 and #7, I mixed the pressure wit heat, thanks.
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of water pressure in all faucets (sinks/shower/washing machine) [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, I am hoping someone can help me out. We have a house 30 years old, copper lines, and we are on community water (so similar to city water but just provided by Aqua for the housing development). We had our water pressure drop suddenly this past Thursday (about 4 days ago) and it has not...

Low water pressure in kitchen faucets [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this please bear with me. I have a problem with my kitchen faucet.. both the hot and cold run fine for about 20 seconds then the pressure goes down to a trickle. However, the sprayer works fine. The faucet was installed about 5 years ago and never was a problem. Thanks, Have...

Low water pressure when 2 or more faucets are on [ 7 Answers ]

Why does the water pressure in my house drop to almost nothing when 2 or more faucets are turned on?:confused:

Temporary loss of hot water pressure in all faucets [ 1 Answers ]

I actually have two plumbing problems. We moved into a 9 year old home about 1 year ago. In March, we had a water softener installed. The previous owners never installed a softener. I'm not sure if the softener installation has anthing to do with this, but we've been experiencing temporary loss...

Low hot water pressure in a couple faucets [ 3 Answers ]

Within the last 48 hours, two faucets suddenly have really poor hot water pressure. The kitchen faucet has low pressure on hot; on cold it is fine. Right around the corner in the half bath, the hot water pressure is great. Upstairs in the bathroom we have a double sink; one of the hot waters...

View more questions Search