Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cferr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2006, 07:57 PM
    401k company won't let me cash out.
    I left a company a year ago. Tried to cash out 401k, and was told by law I had to waite one year. I was able to claim some of the money on hardship. Now one year later, and after losing some of the money to stocks, I'm being told I have to waite another 6 months. This is the time of the companies anniversary date with the 401k. If this were right, I would think they would have told me this when I was arguing over cashing out earlier. I know that there are some companies that say you have to waite till anniversary date, but is that absolute? Is that a law or can they give cash it out if they wanted to? I live in Louisiana if that helps. Thanks
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2006, 07:52 AM
    HI,
    Have you called the Plan Administrator with your old company?
    If the old company turned over the 401k to you, in your name, you should be able to call the Cust Service Rep for the 401k, request a lump-sum withdrawel form, fill it out, and mail it back in. Normally, it takes fro 15 to 30 days to take out all taxes, etc, and mail you the money.
    If your 401k plan is still in your old company's name, then you have to go through the Plan Administrator. What you are saying is not normal procedure.
    Your old company might have some rules of their own, of which I am not aware. I am not professional in this area; just a 64 yrs old man, who has had experience with his own 401k, now rolled-over to an IRA, with much easier access, and no "management fees" of 2 1/2 % per year!
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.

Jul 4, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Thanks for the response. It started like this. About 3 weeks before my year waite was up, I call my admin at old job to get paperwork rolling. I left job July 09,05 after 8 years. She said she had to call the 401k company and called me right back saying that they said I had to waite till the companies anniversary date, which is Jan. My problem is with them making me waite this whole year and then all of a sudden, telling me I have to waite another 6 months. I haven't called to talk to 401K company(Flowers and Associates) yet. I wanted to try and find some info out first. If I don't know what rights I or they have, then I would have to believe whatever they tell me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Hello, your old employer has nothing to do with it ( period)

Once you leave the employer you go into a direct contract with the Investment company that handles the 401 K.

You are bound only by the rules in your written 401 K contract that you would have received when you started the plan.

Your personel, HR or other management people at your old company could merely be mis-informed, or for some reason giving you incorrect information on purpose. ( jerking your chain is my professional term for it)

But once you leave your other company normally you are allowed to get the money out so you can roll it over if you wish.

So call the investment company, only they have the truth, calling your old employer was the last person to call on it.

Jul 4, 2006, 03:48 PM
    I agree that I shouldn't have to go through old employer. But I was able to claim some of the money on hardship about 3 months after leaving, and everything had to go through old employer. 401k company wouldn't even hardly talk to me on phone. They said I had to contact old Admin. If I had wanted to rollover the money, they would have released already. I want the cash. I know the consequences of cashing it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Penalty for 401K cash-out [ 4 Answers ]

I recently cashed out a 401K. The holding company withdrew 20% for federal taxes, as well as an additional penalty. Will I be required to pay any additional taxes or penalties on this in with 2006 taxes (i.e. state income tax)? Are there any forms or paperwork I should be aware of? Thanks in...

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

401K cash out, help [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone like a challenge? Lol As you can tell by the title a lot of changes in ’06…I reside in NH but work in MA and collected unemployment in Mass... 1. Laid off 1/4/06…Got residual hourly rate of $1500 GROSS, commission of $500 GROSS and annual bonus of $1000 GROSS… 2. Cashed out...

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

401k Cash Out [ 5 Answers ]

The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least...

View more questions Search