Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    India de Tampa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 12:16 AM
    Plumbing Issues here in Florida
    I am having a master room/master bathroom, walking closet, utility room addition detached from my house.
    I hired a plumber to to the roughin drain that did not test his work, how can I do this... I have my construction on hold waiting for a carpenter to bid the frame work.
    But my biggest concern is the roughin drain piping before the pouring of the concrete slab.

Do these have to have its vents also now or that is done after all framinh work is done?
    He did not attach no vent. He has run a 3" pip thru the footer. It has a 6" pvc pipe around the piping going through the footer with sprayed foam foam in between.
    Does it soung right? I need help.
    Where do I buy the test ball? And how do I test for my own satisfaction and peace of mind.

Helpppppppp
    Thanks...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by India de Tampa View Post
    I am having a master room/master bathroom, walking closet, utility room addition detached from my house.
    I hired a plumber to to the roughin drain that did not test his work, how can I do this... I have my construction on hold waiting for a carpenter to bid the frame work.

He did not attach no vent. He has run a 3" pip thru the footer. It has a 6" pvc pipe around the piping going through the footer with sprayed foam foam in between.
    Does it soung right? I need help.
    Where do I buy the test ball? And how do I test for my own satisfaction and peace of mind.

Helpppppppp
    Thanks...
    Greetings from Sarasota, I worked in Tampa many years ago.
    Your plumber should have pulled a permit from the building Department before starting the job. If you do not see a permit displayed then call the Building Department ASAP.
    but my biggest concern is the roughin drain piping before the pouring of the concrete slab.
    Do these have to have its vents also now or that is done after all framinh work is done?
    New construction is inspected in three phases.
    1) The Rough In This is where the underground drainage and water lines go in. When the rough in's done the plumber caps everything off and caps the sewer line with a test ball, (see image). He then completes the dxrainage to the lavatory and runs the vent from the lavatory vent up ten feet. He then calls a inspection for the next day and fills the stack with a 10 foot head of water leaving it overnight for the inspector to see the next day.
    The inspector will come out and inspect the job for any code violations and to see if the job holds water. If all's well he signs off on the permit and the job goes into the second stage.
    2) Tub vSet and Water Pipe This is where the above ground work goes down.( by this time the slab's poured and the framing begins. The plumber will stub out the drainage for the fixtures and run up the vents. He will then complete the water piping. Once more the plumber will fill the stacks, pressure up the water and call a inspection for the next day.
    If the inspector passes the job and signs off on the permit the job enters the third and last stage. ( Also at this time a sewer tie in will be made)
    3)The Trim Out By this time the drywalls are up and the fixtures will be installed, Kitchen sink, Toilets, lavatories, tubs/showers, bar or laundry sinks, etc.
    He willthen call for a "final inspection" If the job passes inspection he will sign off and issue a C.O. ( Certificate Of Occupancy).
    That's how the plumbing should go down from the first pipe to the last fixture. Let the Building Department iknow if it doesn't or if a permit hasn't been pulled. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer, Tom

India de Tampa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Thanks, for your input.
    This man is a neighboor, I am pulling the permits as homeowner.
    So where do I buy this test ball? He works for community developments doing underground work. He said he will test it for me but his ball is broken and can't get another one now.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2008, 05:11 PM
    You may purchase a testball at your local Plumbing Supply House or ftom a plumbing shup. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing issues [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a house with new plumbing. Every time I use the washing machine and it reaches the spin cycle and water drains out my toilet fills with water and large air bubbles come out of it. Also water filled in the shower. I have looked for the air vent on the roof to see if it was still...

Plumbing Issues [ 2 Answers ]

How do you keep the bathroom sink from leaking from the bottom when hooking up a portable washer to it?

Plumbing issues [ 6 Answers ]

Ok here it goes. Last Wednesday we were hearing a gurgling sound in the walls between the bathrooms as they are face to face. Every thing was flushing fine nothing was backing up, later that night I went to take a shower and all these air bubbles came up out of the 1st and 2nd toilets. Then backed...

Paternity issues in Florida [ 17 Answers ]

I will try to make this question as brief as possible. My husband had an affair with a married woman and had a baby as a result of the affair. A personal DNA test was performed when the baby was one month old and revealed my husband was the father. The mother granted verbal visitation every...

1950's Florida slab house plumbing problems [ 9 Answers ]

We just bought our house in April. The plumbing has worked fine until recently. I'm trying to locate the main source of our problem and figure out how extensive it is. The shower and tub drains in the bathrooms have been backing up recently, leaving a brown gritty substance. The sink drain in the...

View more questions Search