Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avalerio07 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Can a court judge make some type of payment plan that is suitable.
    The law firm that is calling me regarding a CC dedt, wants a post dated check for the end of the mth. I made a bad mistake in telling her I would try to take the money out of retirment plan to pay it off. And if I don't give her the information she will send a sheriff to my house or employement to give the court papers. I tried to get additional information but they can't provide the information. States the court has all the information. She also stated all the bills and collection information were sent to the address I put when the cc was opened. She mentioned my new address, but I have only been living here one year. And I have not received any type of paper work. To be honest I am scared, not sure what to expect out of this. I am willing to pay the debt but need a flexible payment, can the judge give me that. Will I need a lawyer if I end up going to court. Can someone please advice, desperate single mom seeking advice.

Thanks,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2008, 07:00 PM

Please look through the Bankruptcy & Debt and Credit forums for threads similar to yours. You will find a lot of ideas about how to deal with your situation.

Judges may have the power to order the plaintiff to reach an agreement, but not set one theselves.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 07:36 PM

Canada or US... Province or State?

Dec 3, 2008, 07:42 PM
    US, Texas
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 08:10 PM

Ok, first if a collection person opens their mouth they are lying.
    First stop talking to them on the phone, ask them to put everything in writing.

Next the sheirff is a threat, court papers, well they can service you with papers for a hearing for a judgement. So you can either work out a payment deal with them, or let them sue you and present your case to the judge.

The judge can OK a payment plan, but it will not be flexable.

But no reason to be scared, so the worst thing you go to court over the debt.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 08:20 PM

The link below is for a free credit card counseling service.Even if you have judgments against you they offer advice.They should be able to assist you .I have heard good things about them.Credit Counseling, Debt Management, Free Credit Counseling

Dec 4, 2008, 04:39 AM

Thanks for your comments, I have been stressing over this all week long. I will have them give me something in writing and visit the site as well. Bless you!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Can't afford their payment plan, should I just make payments? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a debt that is with a lawyer's office and they have a judgement against me for the debt. I can not afford their payment plan so should I just start making payments? They tapped into my bank account (there wasn't much at all) but I don't want them to keep doing that. If I start making...

What type of fuse is suitable for 600v,15.6 mohmsresistance (short circuit) [ 3 Answers ]

Find the appropriate fuse Calculate current

What can I do about an unfair probation officer & circuit court judge? [ 1 Answers ]

Isn't there anything I can do about a prejudiced probation officer and a judge who believes her, in spite of the facts? It's costing me thousands to fight a false-positive drug test, despite numerous websites that say hydrocodone (Norco, which I have a prescription for) will show up as a positive...

Is being a judge in a court of law a sin? [ 21 Answers ]

I repeatedly come across the argument that we shouldn't judge. If we follow that strict reasoning, wouldn't that make being a judge in a court of law a sin For a Christian? After all, a judge's job is to judge-isn't it? "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge...

View more questions Search