Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Dec 3, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Bathtub Diverter Replacement
    My problem IS in the diverter. Not matter what you do with the push down valve, most of the water still exits the tub faucet & very little exits the shower faucet. My research has shown that there are 2 types of diverter spouts: slip-on & threaded. Mine must be a slip-on because I feel an opening with some type of screw within this opening. The single water valve is functioning OK & the shower head has been replaced for beautification purposes (the wife's request/demand). What is the proper procedure for replacing this diverter spout?
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Dec 3, 2008, 08:29 PM

Look up in that opening under the spout (use a mirror) and see if there is an allen head screw in there. If there is, loosen it several turns and then carefully twist the spout back and forth to loosen it and pull it off in the process. You will have to have a replacement spout of the same (slip on) type to replace it.

If it is threaded, just turn it off any way you can and take it to the store and get a replacement. Some have different thread locations, so you may have to replace the nipple that comes out of the wall with a different length. These are much harder to get perfect without messing with the plumbing mounting back in the wall. Good luck.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 09:31 PM

It sounds that the diverter needs to be replaced, I am attaching both tub diverters slip type with no knob and the screw type check which one you got, if your is slip type with the knob, remove the spout take it to a plumbing supply and buy a new one to match, to install the slip type check the pipe for any sharp edge if any remove it before installing the spout, also make sure to use silicone jell to lubricate the o ring.

If it is the threaded type do the same thing take it out and get a new one, and buy some Teflon tape use it on threads and install the spout, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub Diverter Stems [ 7 Answers ]

Where would I purchase a diverter stem, ours still leaks water through the handle when it is pulled out, I don't know if the seal is bad. But do I need to replace the diverter? And where can I purchase one?

Replacing bathtub spout w/shower diverter [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Pegasus bathtub spout with a stuck shower diverter. I contacted customer support and was sent a replacement spout that does not fit. Currently I have a 3/4 inch copper pipe coming out of the wall approx 2 inches. I sent pictures of my application to Pegasus (the one on the left is the...

Replace leaking bathtub diverter [ 1 Answers ]

The diverter for our guest bath leaks like a sieve, diverting very little water to the shower. The tub/shower set is American Standard, about 20 years old. I have seen SpeedBall1's picture in response to a post by EJJ88 showing that if there is a slot near the wall, you can remove the spout using...

View more questions Search