Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pekoe Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Leaking in ceiling
    I drained a downstairs bathtub. 1/2 hr later found significant water had been dripping from the ceiling in an area located under the upstairs bathroom and dripping into the kitchen. That upstairs bath hadn't been used in more than 4 hours. In looking back, this has happened before but since I live alone, being in the right place at the right time to see it happening has been rare. What does this mean?
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 3, 2008, 05:24 PM
    It means you have a leaky pipe. Is there anyway for you to be able to access the drain pipe for the tub to see where the leak may be coming from? If not your best bet is to call a licensed plumber and have them troubleshoot your problem.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 09:21 PM

Sounds like it's the drain pipe not a supply pipe. Since your ceiling is wet that will need to come out, is it drywall or what?

Dec 3, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Hopefully it is drywall as plaster is very difficult to break and then seam nicely. The hard thing about plumbing is that there is not a real good way to check without removing the ceiling.

If it is grey water (meaning it was used in the toilet/shower) then the wet areas of ceiling definitely do need to come out rather than dried like said above.

Aaron

Dec 3, 2008, 10:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amsteube View Post
    It means you have a leaky pipe. Is there anyway for you to be able to access the drain pipe for the tub to see where the leak may be coming from? If not your best bet is to call a licensed plumber and have them troubleshoot your problem.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
    Thanks so much for the quick response. I hope that I was clear when I said that the upstairs bath hadn't been used in over 4hrs. There is no bathtub upstairs and neither the sink, toilet or shower had been used. The shower hadn't been used for 24hr. This is why I'm so concerned. It seemed as though the downstairs bath had drained UP, somehow, to then leak through the ceiling. Am I nuts? Also, this is a mountain cabin and the ceiling is all wood. No plaster. Hope I'm not confusing the matter.

Dec 3, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Okay. First of all it is unlikely that the bathroom drained up. The first thing I would do is look at the floor upstairs, mainly around the toilet. Maybe stand on it and kind of push and see if there is any sign of give in the floor. Meaning the floor was wet and that is where the leak is from. Other than calling a plumber to come and look at it there isn't much you can really do.

The first thing the plumber will want to do if there is a leak is to tear out the floor or ceiling. :(

Have you contacted your insurance company to see if they cover water damage from pipe leaks? They may not but it's worth a shot. After all, that is why you pay for insurance.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Dec 3, 2008, 10:25 PM

ballengerb1, Thank you. To answer your question, my ceiling is wood, including a large cross-beam. Is this better or worse as far as a positive outcome? I don't know what kind of water was leaking, only that it left a spot on the rug approximately 15" diameter, which seemed excessive. By the time that I noticed, the drip was about the size of a pea. Seemed as if it was almost over. I appreciate your taking the time to address this. Mary

Dec 3, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Is it possible to take a picture of the ceiling? If it is a tongue and groove type it may be easily removed and reinstalled? I would call your insurance company or look through your paperwork to see if you are covered. If it is there should be an after hours emergency line to call and they can provide you with more direction.

Aaron

Dec 3, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amsteube View Post
    Okay. First of all it is unlikely that the bathroom drained up. The first thing I would do is look at the floor upstairs, mainly around the toilet. Maybe stand on it and kind of push and see if there is any sign of give in the floor. Meaning the the floor was wet and that is where the leak is from. Other than calling a plumber to come and look at it there isn't much you can really do.

The first thing the plumber will want to do if there is a leak is to tear out the floor or ceiling. :(

Have you contacted your insurance company to see if they cover water damage from pipe leaks? They may not but it's worth a shot. After all, that is why you pay for insurance.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
    Thanks! I will try that with the toilet. Looks like it is plumber time but was afraid to go there if it was at all possible to avoid. I've been so stressed that I failed to think about checking the insurance. Thank you for the suggestion. Sure hate to have the house cut up but obviously something needs to be done. Again, thanks Mary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tap left on, now ceiling below is leaking [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, how can I help to dry up the ceiling that is now leaking? My son left the bathroom tap on, drain in the sink was clogged, so water ran over counter onto floor, earlier this morning. Ceiling below has lots of water marks and there is one central location where the ceiling is very wet and...

Leaking Ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

I've notice that while the shower is running on the second floor drips of water comes through my exhaust/light fixture bathroom on the first floor. I'm shocked because this is a new home and I've been here going on 2 years and I shouldn't have any problems let alone a plumbing problem. What could...

Shower leaking through to ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a 2 story townhouse with the shower upstairs. A few days ago I replaced the Moen shower control handle (single) and splashplate behind it, and also the tub spout that has a diverter for the shower. All for cosmetic reasons only. There was a gap between the control handle...

Garage Ceiling Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know anything about plumbing. When I am starting shower on upper floor toilet then water start leaking on the garage ceiling. Where to start checking and how to start checking. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ceiling is leaking [ 2 Answers ]

My house is about 30 years old, moved in 13 years ago. The bathtub and toilet have overflowed a few times in two of the upstairs bathrooms. The water flows throughout the ceiling and even inside some of the double paned windows on the first floor. This has occurred since we moved in. Any amount of...

View more questions Search