Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leopardgeckomatt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2003, 11:19 AM
    Algebra help
    I am working on "Multistep Equations" in Algebra 1 and they didn't explain how to solve one of the formulas in my book. Here are a couple of the questions:

9x - 4 = 7x - 10
    X = ?

5x - 2 = 3x - 20
    X = ?

I don't see an easy way to come up with that answer. Can anyone help me find the way to solve these problems? Thanks!
    Matt
    ms_compassion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2003, 12:50 PM
    Algebra help
    Matt: I am going to try to help you with a little explanation.

To solve the equation 9x - 4 = 7x - 10; you must try to get your x's on the same side (try the left side of the equal sign because that is how the answer to the equation is read). Which means you have to take the 7x and move it to the left side. In order to cancel out the 7x on the right side you have to add a -7x to it. Understand, you cannot do anything to the right side that you did not do to the left side, so you must add a
    -7x to the left side also.

After adding a -7x to the right side, it cancels out. After adding it to the left side there is a positive 2x remaining. Now, in order to move the -4 to the right side of the equal sign, you must add a positive 4 to it to cancel it out. (always) keep in mind you cannot do to one side what you do not do to the other, so you must add a positive 4 to the right side. After that, the positive and negative 4 cancel and on the right side you have a -6 left. Now, the equation reads
    2x = - 6. Solve for x by dividing each side by 2. When you do that the 2's cancel and leave only the 1x (the number 1 is invisible when dealing with algebra) and on the right it leaves a -3. Therefore, x = - 3.

Now, try to solve the other equation using the same method. :)
    leopardgeckomatt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2003, 05:24 PM
    Algebra help
    Thanks! I understand it now! Thank you very much for your help!
    Matt :)
    amber091_2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
    a number whose product with 6 is the same as its sum with 60
    ashleyme05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 11:33 AM
    If x=3/5 then 5/9x equals

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algebra II help [ 4 Answers ]

I am stuck on the equations with division like this one 4x+4/2=3(x+2)-2 my brain locks up and I have no idea how to get rid of the fraction and I know that is what I should do first right?? some one please help me Zak:(

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please help me with this algebra problem: find points and slope of the following linear equation: (y+1)= -1/2(x-2) I know the slope is -1/2 Are the points (2, -1)??

Algebra! Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in solving a couple of problems that I am still really stuck with even though I have tried lots of ways of solving it and don't feel that my answers are correct. Please help! I want full detail on each problem so that I can understand how to begin and complete the problems. 1. Solve...

Please help with Algebra 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone PLEASE help me!!! Algebra 2 is KICKING my BUTT!! I am so stuck on this question it aint even funny. For each point, its distance from the point (4,0) is twice its distance from the line x= -4. (by the way this deals with conics...) THANX TO anyone that helps!!

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

simplify 1.(x^m+2)(x^-2)(x^m-5)

View more questions Search