Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leep2000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2006, 11:29 AM
    DVD - Upscaling
    Anyone know much about HD-DVD and upscaling?

Ive just purchased a Samsung DVD-HD860 which has an upscaling function or something, so that you can get the best out of your DVD collection. I just wondered if anyone else had a DVD upscaler and could tell me if its actually any good.

Secondly the HDTV that I have just purchased doesn't have HDMI input only DVI input. I've bought a connector that will allow HDMI to DVI connection but that will only transmit picture and not audio. What's the best way to transmit the audio to my HDTV without purchasing an expensive amp? Phono cables??
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 3, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Upscaling is a process that mathematically matches the pixel count of the output of the DVD signal to the physical pixel count on an HDTV, which is typically 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i).

720p represents 1,280 pixels displayed across the screen horizontally and 720 pixels down the screen vertically. This arrangement yields 720 horizontal lines on the screen, which are, in turn, displayed progressively, or each line displayed following another.

1080i represents 1,920 pixels displayed across a screen horizontally and 1,080 pixels down a screen vertically. This arrangement yields 1,080 horizontal lines, which are, in turn, displayed alternately. In other words, all the odd lines are displayed, followed by all the even lines.

The Practical Effect Of DVD Upscaling

Visually, there is very little difference to the eye of the average consumer between 720p and 1080i. However, 720p can deliver a slightly smoother-looking image, because lines and pixels are displayed in a consecutive pattern, rather than in an alternate pattern.

The upscaling process does a good job of matching the upscaled pixel output of a DVD player to the native pixel display resolution of an HDTV capable television, resulting in better detail and color consistency.

However, upscaling, as it is currently implemented, cannot convert standard DVD images into true high-definition images. In fact, although upscaling works well with fixed pixel displays, such as Plasma and LCD televisions, results are not always consistent on CRT-based high definition televisions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search