Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    an08 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Filing tax on H4 visa in 2009
    I've been in US for the past 4 years and have files tax jointly with my husband who is on H1 visa.In 2008 we couldn't receive economic stumulus because I didn't have an SSN.My question is... can I file tax next year separately or not file at all to avail the economic stimulus?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Yes, you and your husband can file separately for 2008.

Then, after your husband gets the economic stimulus check, he can then amend the return to add you as a co-filer to file jointly to get the added tax benefits of filing jointly. He will NOT have to return the stimulus check.

This procedure is completely legal and is in fact recommended as a course of action on the IRS website.
    an08 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Yes, you and your husband can file separately for 2008.

Then, after your husband gets the economic stimulus check, he can then amend the return to add you as a co-filer to file jointly to get the added tax benefits of filing jointly. He will NOT have to return the stimulus check.

This procedure is completely legal and is in fact recommended as a course of action on the IRS website.
    Thanks very much.So both of us have to file separately but I'm on H-4 so I don't have any income,Can I still file the tax on my own?
    Is there a time limit by which he has to amend the return in order to add me as a cofiler later?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 10:49 AM
    If you have NO income, you have no requirement to file. Your spouse can file Married Filing Separately.

There is no time limit, but if you amend the return after 15 April 2012, you forfeit any additional refund by law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B visa TAX Filing [ 1 Answers ]

I had a H1B visa in 2007. I lived in the US from January through April 2007 and then moved back to Mexico for good. The thing is that I received my W2 form in Mexico and lost it. I asked for another one to my company and the thing is that I don't think it will arrive before the April 15th dead...

L1 Visa and L2 Visa Filing tax for Year 2007. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L1 Visa in US since May 2007. My Wife (non working ) is on L2 Visa since Oct 2007. 1. I have recevied my W2 Form from my employer. When I am filing tax Which form should I fill 1040 ? Or 1040 EZ? 2. My wife doesn't have SSN. Is she eligible for SSN ? 3. Should I Apply ITIN or SSN...

L-1 Visa, filing from outside US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband had an L-1B Visa and I had L-2. I did not earn income, two kids to look after! We are both Irish citizens. Last year we moved from Texas in March to New Zealand. Therefore, taxes were paid for Jan, Feb and part of March. Our move to New Zealand is permanent for the foreseeable...

Tax filing for H1B Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came here on H1B Visa from India on 7th August 2006 and might be staying this complete year also... Actually I came here through one of the Indian Company and have got my W4 from them. Kindly let me know what will be my status & which form should I have to fill. Will I be Non-resident...

L1 Visa Tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am on L1B visa with my company which got approved on 6th Oct 2006 with effect of my change of status. I got my SSN after a month as they directed. My company never paid me in US for my expenses. They have just put me on home salary. I don't have any earnings in US and they are not providing me...

View more questions Search