Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tugela Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2006, 03:01 AM
    Strange Noises!
    I am running windows xp and suddenly it seems to be going very slowly and also there is a strange noise - like it loses power is the only way to explain it - like a vehicle about to stall!
    I have run AVG anti virus, ad-aware, spybot, ccleaner and have done a defrag - what else can I do to stop this as it does not sound very healthy.
    Thanks
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jul 3, 2006, 05:11 AM
    When this happens. Press CTRL, ALT Delete together, this will show a "Windows Security Box" the n press the bottom-middle button to show "Windows Task Manager".

Check the processes running sort by the amount of CPU time. This will show what is taking up processor time. Typically mine shows "System Idle Time 83", "EXCEL.EXE 02", etc. Make a note of each application that is taking time. Then do an internet search on the applications, most will show that they are uSoft apps or something similar. But you may just come across an app that is spyware/virus/malware. Then go to a website like symantech/sophos where they explain how to rid yourself of the problem.

Alternatively your power supply may be overheating. Is the fan going round?
    gareth Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugela
    I am running windows xp and suddenly it seems to be going very slowly and also there is a strange noise - like it loses power is the only way to explain it - like a vehicle about to stall !!
    I have run AVG anti virus, ad-aware, spybot, ccleaner and have done a defrag - what else can I do to stop this as it does not sound very healthy.
    Thanks

Hi There Tugela,

colbtech is absolutely right :D . However, this is not a software error if you can hear a noise. This sounds more like a hardware error. I would check out the fan if I was you (both processor and Power supply fans)or your hard drive could be in error. Open up your PC and listen from where the sound is coming from. Alternatively, If you are not familiar in doing that then, take it to the place where you bought your computer from and let them check it out.

Please get back to us if your problem still is not solved by then...

Regards
    Gareth
    Tugela Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Ok... I did as suggested and found something called agent.exe which was running. I tried to find out what it is and some say its spyware some say its not... HELP!
    Also I noticed if I switched off Zone Alarm that strange noise was not so bad.
    And the fan is running I checked that
    Oh, Gareth by the way, Im originally from South Africa!
    Thanks for the help... any other advice greatly appreciated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange noises! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I have a real mystery on my hands. Let me give you some back ground: My house was built in 1969 and has copper supply and drain lines. When using the upstairs master bathroom (either faucet, toilet, or shower) you hear a very distinct banging or knocking in what I think are the drain...

Cavalier Noises [ 1 Answers ]

Some people I know are giving me a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier, I don't know if it's 2 or 4 door, VIN #, or miles on it. They tell me that it is driveable but makes a little clunk noise when first put in reverse, but once it starts moving the noise is gone. They think it's the CV boot. Can anyone...

I hear noises [ 9 Answers ]

My name is JC and I just moved into a house and I have been finding a lot of problems with various items but now it is the plumbing. I hear noises in the kitchen drain when the washing machine running. I noticed the washing machine is on the same drain line as the sink. Is there a way to stop...

Weird Noises in Reverse [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to be given a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier 5-speed and the people that currently own it says when it is put into reverse it makes a clunk noise, but once the clutch is let off and power is transmitted the noise goes away. They thought it was the half shaft boots, but Advance said if that was...

Crackling noises in walls [ 7 Answers ]

Each night I hear crackling noises in my walls and ceilings? I live in San Diego where the temp gets pretty warm in the day and at night it cools down. Are the crackling noises a result of the wood expanding due to the different temps? The noises only happen in a new edition we built about 10...

View more questions Search