Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeusishere Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Can I work for my employer back home from the US on an F1 visa?
    Hi,

As part of an arrangement between my employer and a US-based university, I have been shortlisted for an MBA program and will be moving there shortly on an F1. My responsibilities in the company, primarily include backend work which can be done from anywhere in the world. My company is willing to pay my salary if I can continue to do the work from the US while simultaneously studying on an F1 visa.

As I understand, I am only allowed 20 hours of on-campus work on my F1 visa - hence I cannot or should not do any work for my employer back home. Is this correct?

If yes, is there any way in which I can stay & study in the US on my F1 while working for my company - without any legal complications?

If no, can you please point out the correct interpretation on the subject? Also, it would be helpful if you can shed some light on the tax implications (my monthly gross pay is ~ $2000).

Thanks
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 02:02 PM

Depends on situation.. for example, if you are software designer and work either freelance or still employed by the employer in your home country. You deliver the project visa email/internet, etc and get paid direct to your bank account in your home country. This is doable.. also applies to other related occupation such as writer, etc.

BUT if you work for any employer in US, it's no.. no.

In short, F-1 holders are not allowed to physically work in US with US companies.

Dec 8, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    Depends on situation.. for example, if you are software designer and work either freelance or still employed by the employer in your home country. You deliver the project visa email/internet, etc and get paid direct to your bank account in your home country. This is doable.. also applies to other related occupation such as writer, etc.

BUT if you work for any employer in US, it's no.. no.

In short, F-1 holders are not allowed to physically work in US with US companies.

Thanks for the reply. It was a comfort to realise that for projects submitted via email - the arrangement is doable. I am a business analyst and hence can claim to fall somewhere between a writer and a software designer.

My next query is - I have my F1 visa interview soon and I am using only a letter from my employer as financial support proof. Letter states that they will be paying all expenses including tuition, boarding, travel, books, and includes the figure as mentioned in the I-20, etc. Will that do or do I need more proof to convince the visa officers? I got my I-20 on the basis of my employer's letter only. Thanks in advance again.
    Immigration Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 10:10 PM

Letter from employer alone is insufficient, you will need financial document issued by the bank. If the company is your sponsor then you must have company's financial documents.

Good luck.

Dec 17, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Thanks for your help - got the visa ! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    Letter from employer alone is insufficient, you will need financial document issued by the bank. If the company is your sponsor then you must have company's financial documents.

Good luck.
    Immigration Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 03:45 PM

Congratulations! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piecework at home/ Packaging work at home or crafts work [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm looking for a part time job as due to my GCSE I will have 3 months off after them, and I have heard of piecework which I am interested in, however I don't know what to serach for who to contact can someone help me out please as I would appreciate it. Could you please list a few manufacturers...

Can my employer be exempt from the H1B visa cap as an educational institution? [ 3 Answers ]

My potential employer is a company that offers instruction and translation services in foreign languages. They set up classes for people who want to learn foreign languages and get teachers who specialize in/have native knowledge of that language to teach the class. They want to hire me as an...

MA employer work from home in NH [ 1 Answers ]

My employer is located in MA. Next year I have the option to work on average 3-4 days from home in NH and 1-2 days in an office in MA. Will I have to pay MA state tax? I spend 30% of the year outside of MA and NH (various US, London and Rome - no location more than a week). Does this...

View more questions Search