Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crybaby9112001 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Jul 2, 2006, 11:58 PM
    Objective
    What am I suppose to put for an objective when I don't have any goals and I don't have much job exerpience?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2006, 12:04 AM
    What kind of job are you looking for. It does not matter if you have much experience. Mention the things that you would like to do while in the company. For example: Where do you see yourself in 2 years. Do you want to increase your knowledge in the company. Gain extra training. Maybe in future years see yourself as a trainer or maybe a boss?

Jul 3, 2006, 12:13 AM
    Me a boss! I use to want to be a hotel manager but now I am looking for any job that will pay the bills and for my son... but the main thing I am applying for is custemer service like longs, wallgreens, or the library, anything I guess. But with simple jobs like that how can you think big on a resume?

Jul 3, 2006, 12:23 AM
    I don't know because I kind of feel stuck right now... but I am glad you responded to curse thing because I really didn't know anything else to think. I just hope I do something now, and I pray that all my bad luck will stop. I wish I knew what to do career wise because I know that would fix a lot. But it is not like I have time to think about a career when my main concern is a job right now.

Yeah you are right... that does sound beter. But how am I suppose to learn those kinds of words?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2006, 12:43 AM
    Just ask, look up the dictionary. We are here and I am sure more people will respond with other ideas to help you out as well. About the curse thing. Well you got my answer. My opinion is the times that are rough now, the hard times is well worth it. When we get past them and end up in a better place we will be thankful we went through them. Hope this makes sense for you.

Joe
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jul 3, 2006, 01:03 AM
    Writing resumes is difficult unless you go to a job agency that will write them for you or you have heard of these fancy job titles and understood what they mean.
    Catchwords or phrases can be useful:
    "I enjoy meeting people and working with the public" - points to sales or customer support

"I enjoy a challenge" - thinks logically or intuitively

"I am good with my hands" - general building maintenance, etc

Not sure if this what you are looking for, but every little helps when writing these things

Jul 3, 2006, 01:08 AM
    Thank you... matter of fact that is exactly what I was looking for... I really needed phrasses like that that would help me. Thanks, you are right every little bit helps and especially writeing tips, I didn't think anyone else was going to respond but I am glad you did, thank you.

Jul 3, 2006, 02:10 AM
    I think that an important part is to make the resume concise.
    Page 1 should show your current address, date, job applied for. Then Dear Sir/Madam,

In response to the advert placed in...

Detail why you are interested, what you feel you could bring to the job, etc

Ending with something like "I trust that you will consider all these points in my favour and hope that if this application is unsuccessful you would keep my details on record.

Regards,"

Page 2 should detail your academic achievements (or lack of in my case) and any sort of supplementary training you have had, health and safety, basic first aid, food hygiene. Even if the job does not require this info, it shows that you have a broad knowledge of different aspects of a working environment.

The good thing about the H & S, and first aid is that most areas can offer these courses free or at little cost.

Good luck

PS Don't lie on your resume. You will get caught out. Stretch the truth, it is expected, but no out and out lies!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 3, 2006, 10:05 AM
    I can tell you a well worded cover letter with a skimpy but accurate resume will go further than you think! There is a proof reader who posted in Introductions here who may look your stuff over too? Worth looking her up and asking...

Here she is: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/introd...der-26289.html

Jul 3, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Colbtech,

How can they find out if I am lying? I put that I worked at a Joes Pizza Palace and I listed all of my duties but I didn't put the city or the number or the address. I made the name up. I have only had one job as a aide for physical therapy but they suspended me then I quit... it ended on bad terms so I know I can't use them as a reference... so you think I should just take out all the lies... but then my resume would be extremely empty. Could they really find out?

Jul 3, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Valinors Sorrow,

Wow thanks for that, I will check it out. And thanks for always being there with that good advice. I apreciate it. Take care.

Jul 3, 2006, 02:31 PM
    First off, don't panic. I was thinking more along the lines of school, university etc and the qualifications you got. For example if you took math and wrote that you passed with an A, but actually scaped through with the lowest pass mark (E). Don't write "exams passed - maths grade A, english, grade B, etc". Write that you passed Maths and English exams and leave it at that. If questioned in an interview why can't you do a simple sum, then tell your prospective employer that you only just passed the exam and it was a while ago. At least you haven't lied on the resume.

For example many years ago I took a combined Physics and Chemistry exam, it was the easy option rather than take two separate exams. I passed the Physics with Chemistry paper, but I write it as passing two exams.

So you see it's a lie but one I can get away with. (Especially as the exams were 35 years ago!

Be honest, write a brief school and career to date on the board, what you fancy doing job wise,etc. There are many members that will look at it and offer advice. Everybody needs a bit of break now and then, don't be shy if you have nothing then say so. Of course we can't guarantee getting you 50K a year, or even a job! But as I said before every little helps.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 4, 2006, 10:51 AM
    Leaving off a job that isn't a good reference is okay but should it happen later on and make a gap in your work history, you will be asked to explain that gap in an interview, if they are worth their salt.

As for the made up one, if you are implying it is recent then they could ask you for a reference and you'd be in for more lying about it then.

Its just a very bad idea to lie. Really good companies can do background checks that turn up all kinds of things. Besides, it makes you a liar, whether they find out or not. And everyone who interviews you will know you are young and likely inexperienced just by looking at you. Much better to be yourself and find ways to make that appealing without resorting to lies. That way you will come across as resourceful without being dishonest, which is a much more valuable member of the team to prospective employers.

If you continue to go the lying route, its likely you will end up working for badly managed companies since the only ones who don't object to lying are liars themsleves. The world has a funny way of working like that lol. And there are plenty of companies out there like that too. I unfortunately worked for a few, brief as it was.

Just a few thoughts that I hope are helpful.
    crazybird Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Apr 29, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Why were you suspended?

Apr 30, 2007, 12:19 AM
    I think when you have written your "truthful" resume. Get someone to read through it, preferably someone experienced with resumes. It may help if you have a summary at the end to have small phrases like "willing to learn", "always helpful", etc.
    crazybird Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Apr 30, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Good point Colb on someone with experience and truthful. Very important to be truthful.

Crybaby: The reason I asked what you were suspended for and ultimately fired for was to see if you could still use this on your resume if you could explain what happened.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 09:11 PM
    If you noticed the date of the original question, my guess is that Crybaby9112001 has hopefully already landed a job somewhere.
    ladybugluck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 09:01 PM
    What to say for an objective when doing my resume

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I say for the objective for a resume? [ 3 Answers ]

What are you suppose to act like in an interview when you are 18? Like I know if I use to many big words then they will know I am acting but if I use to little then they won't hire me? At 18 years old I don't have much job experience and I went online for tips on what to say as my objective and it...

Shareholder wealth as the main objective of the firm [ 1 Answers ]

A firm can choose from an infinitely long list of possible objectives.some of these will appear noble and easly justified,other remain hidden,implicit,embarrassing,even subconscious.Discuss the rationale for selecting shareholder wealth as the main objective of the firm

View more questions Search