Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennyd123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Issue with metal ring inside the flange that seems to b attached to plastic piping?
    Ok I am a female and my husband is over in Iraq so Im taking on all the house repairs. The toilet was leaking so I was told to replace the wax ring... easy enough. Once I got the toilet off the flange was broken so I had to replace it, again easy enough. Except this has turned into a mess. It was rusted pretty bad and so I couldn't get to the screws or even see them so I pried the metal flange off. I went and got a new plastic flange but it doesn't work because the metal that is inside the pipe makes the new flange stick up off the floor. The pipe seems to be pvc or plastic, but at the top of the pipe under the floor it looks like it turns into metal and comes up to form a metal ring that was inside the old metal flange. I don't know if its glued on or just rusted together but it won't come out. My dad let me borrow a grinder and at this point I think I am going to grind down this metal ring so the new flange will fit. However maybe I should take the grinder/cutter and cut the metal inside that may or may not be attached to the plastic pipe? The new plastic flange I have has some "piping" attached and a rubber glove that goes around it so I think if I cut the metal part inside the plastic pipe the new flange will take the place of that and the rubber will be enough of a seal. I am just scared that if I grind it down I might mess something up or if I cut it I may really screw something up. I am fully capable of doing this myself and do not want to call a plumber. I just need some direction or maybe some advice from somebody who can understand what I am saying. Thanks so much!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Jenny...

Any chance you can post a picture of this flange?

If this is a pvc pipe with a metal ring then the old metal ring can be cut off and a new BIVALVE type of replacement ring can be purchased at a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE and installed... see photo below.

I use a pair of AVIATION/TIN SNIPS to snip the old metal ring off but that be hard for you to do. If you use the grinder then please use a pair of safety goggles and plan on needing the SNIPS to make the final cut as you get close to the plastic (grinder will probably cut into the plastic... a bad thing).

Let us know more here...

MARK
    Attached Images

Dec 8, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Here are some pictures, the first one is before I took the flange off, the second is after I took the flange off... you can see there's a metal ring still left, with what looks like metal that goes down into the hole maybe two inches then it turns into what looks like plastic piping. The third picture is the new plastic flange I bought. The problem is that since that metal is left the new flange won't go down into the hole nor will it fit around that metal ring that is still there. It won't go on top either because then it sticks up like 1/2 and inch off the floor. Should I cut the metal into the hole or just grind down the metal ring on top of the floor. If I don't cut the metal inside the hole then the new flange I have won't fit in past that metal. This was the smallest flange they had with the piping on the bottom. If I don't cut the metal inside and just grinded down the metal on top of the floor could I buy a regular flange without the piping attached and use it? I don't know what to do...
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Jenny...

I'm pretty darn sure by looking at the picture that all you need to do is go to a local plumbing supply house and get a new BIVALVE replacement closet flange (one name brand is the CLAMSHELL)... just as I suggested at my first post to you.

The replacement closet flange slips in and under that metal ring and then gets secured to the floor. I know my picture has a plastic part and yours is metal, but that is probably even better for you as the metal looks to be in really good shape... :)

Please try this before messing with the metal ring or grinding anything! Look at the picture one more time... I think this will fix it for you. Click on theclam2.pdf for a close up view... looks just like yours except mine is plastic.

I would not use the flange you purchased.

Let me know what you think...

MARK
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf the clam2.pdf (32.5 KB, 182 views)

Dec 12, 2008, 04:06 PM

I haven't found one of those bivalve closet flanges yet. I am getting so frustrated. Every plumber thinks Im stupid cause I am a girl and they have all these suggestions and won't just give me what I am asking for. Everyone offers me repair flanges that Don't FIT AROUND THE METAL RING. Why can't I find a plumbing supply house that carries the Bivalve closet flange? Sorry I didn't listen to your first post, I suppose I didn't understand, and with all the frustrations I figures it couldn't just be easy enough to find a single part that would help me... Thanks again I'm still looking!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Jenny...

Did you bring picture of the bivalve repair ring? Just curious? The bivalve is available online pretty quickly.

You may also be able to use this repair ring... see picture. These are available at all home supply houses... the one you want will not have a black plastic cap in it like mine below, but will just be the red repair ring... ok?

Here, you would insert the johnnie bolts into their slots and then align bolts and screw the repair flange to the floor. The wax gasket will still mate with the metal ring on the old plumbing and the toilet will be held firmly in place by the new repair ring. This may be easiest in the long run now that that bivalve flange is turing out to be difficult to find... guess it never crossed my mind that they may not be avialable everywhere!

This will work well, too... ;)

Let me know what happens.

MARK
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 05:51 PM

The CLAMSHELL closet repair ring can't be found at The Home Depot or lows, you may print a picture of the one Mark sent it to you and bring it with you to a plumber supply house they will find you the same or something smeller, Good luck.

John
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Sorry Mark,

I over ride you I had type it eary and submitte late,

Regards,
    John
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Hi John..

Actually I told jenny it was only available at a plumbing supply house at my first post... and if you read her post she states that she only went to plumbing supply houses. Just FYI... ;) I swear!

This one is pretty sharp!

And you can over-ride me anytime...enjoy your contributions around here!

See you!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High toilet flange on copper piping. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, My sister recently bouth an apt building. Im in the middle of fixing and apt that was totally trashed and not taking care of. Its on old house that was sectioned off into 4 units, anyway.. The bathroom floor was totally rotten all the way to the floor joists. I ripped up the 4...

Plumbing elbow on plastic and metal pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to use the same plumbing elbow on plastic and metal pipes, or are they specially made for each type? Thanks

Plastic PVC Broken in Metal Pipe Joint [ 2 Answers ]

Was digging in the yard and broke the PVC pipe connected to a metal pipe inside the joint. The PVC and joint is 3/4 inch however the PVC is glued inside the metal and now I can't get the old PVC out of the metal joint to replace it. I don't have any tools to cut the metal pipe. Is there anything...

Painting outside metal door with plastic muttens [ 1 Answers ]

Both my front and side doors are metal with plastic mutton bars on the outside. Both doors are currently painted white and I want to repaint them white. I am wondering whether I should paint the plastic muttons or just the metal door. If I don't paint the plastic, it may not be the same color...

Plastic vs metal pipes? - replacement [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing the 1 1/2" OD thin metal piping underneath my kitchen faucet. It is corroded. My choices are to replace it with metal or plastic. Is one better than the other? Are there advantages/disadvantages of one versus the other. My intuition tells me to replace it with plastic...

View more questions Search