Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1983nab Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 08:27 PM
    17hp briggs smokes at start up
    I have a 17hp briggs that blows out blue smoke whan you start it up and then it stops as you run it
    It just whanever you first start it
    :confused:
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 05:02 PM

Hi,
    Newer engines blow smoke when cranked because of the choke and the EPA regs that require clean running. Should dissipate and clean up quickly. OHV's even older ones do it.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Blue smoke is generally a sign of oil in the cumbustion chamber. A puff when starting isn't a big deal, but if it continues to smoke while running it's probably time for a ring job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray/Briggs 17hp twin problem [ 1 Answers ]

My Murray has a 17hp Briggs I/C twin engine (42A707) that starts right up, cuts fine, but will not re-start if you shut it off. I have new spark plugs, new armature, and a good battery. When I go to re-start it, the engine just spins. I smell gas coming out of the exhaust, but I have worn out...

Briggs and Stratton 17hp surging [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 17hp B/S on a John Deer Saber. Just had new coil and alternator installed. The motor runs good, but it is surging. What is the problem and how do I fix. Also It has a safety feature where you can not mow in reverse. Would like to disable this if possible.

Briggs & Stratton 17hp Lawn Tractor [ 6 Answers ]

Why is gas leaking into air filter at low throttle?

View more questions Search