Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mivettes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 07:33 PM
    F1 visa, dependants and taxes
    :confused:Hi... I've been working under an F1 Visa since August 2008. At the time I thought my 3 children were joining me here in the United States but there was a delayed and they are finally coming this month December. However, my pay stubs says withholding 3. Am I going to get in trouble for that? Would I be able to claim them on my taxes? What happens if in the meantime I change my status from F1 to H1? Thank you for your advice..
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 03:48 AM

On F1, you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return. You can not claim dependents on your tax return unless allowed by tax treaty between the U.S. and your country.
    On H1-B, if you meet substantial Presence Test, then you can file resident tax return and claim dependents. Dependent children must have valid SSN.
    Read about F1 tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
    In order to claim children as dependents on a resident return, the children must be physically located within the U.S. for at least part of the calendar year. If they are outside of the U.S. for all of the calendar year, you CANNOT claim them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

E-3 visa : Can I Claim Dependants? [ 3 Answers ]

I arrived earlier this year (Feb 2007) on an E-3 Visa with my wife and two young kids. Can I file jointly with my wife? Can I claim deductions for dependents? If so, how many dependents can I claim? My wife can work here in the US. Many thanks in advance.

G-4 Visa and Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the best way to file my taxes. I am a US citizen and my wife is a G-4 visa holder working for an international organization. Should we file a: Joint tax return or Married filing separately, with my wife filing a 1040 non resident return If she files a 1040...

View more questions Search