Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Ahhh...but is not abortion a "choice." And that choice could and should be made for LIFE.
    Are you implying that homosexual acts are choices?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing, in my post you are referring to, there is no moralizing about sexual preference.

Even the CDC does not use the term homosexuals or heterosexuals but MSM [men having sex with men ].

And yes statistics are based on facts, not opinions.

G&P
    Abortion is a choice. Having unprotected sex is a CHOICE. Whether one is a homosexual is NOT a choice.

My statistics were based on facts, too. I was just pointing out that statistics don't mean CRAP, because you can twist them to mean whatever you want.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Abortion is a choice. Having unprotected sex is a CHOICE. Whether or not one is a homosexual is NOT a choice.

My statistics were based on facts, too. I was just pointing out that statistics don't mean CRAP, because you can twist them to mean whatever you want.

So statistics from the CDC are crap?

G&P
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 08:39 AM

I'm saying that what people take the statistics to MEAN is crap.

So male-to-male sex is the most common way to pass AIDS--so what? Female-to-Female sex is the LEAST common way to spread AIDS sexually.

HIV/AIDS and Women | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

So two women should be able to get married before a man and a woman should, by those statistics?

Your statistics are crap because they only say the part you WANT them to say, not the whole story.

Perhaps if male/male relationships were more accepted by society, there would be more openness about homosexual relationships in general, and therefore more stable relationships among homosexuals, rather than clandestine sexual meetings and nothing more, which would cut down on the male-to-male AIDS transmission.

Statistics tell only PART of any story--and usually only the part that the person quoting the statistics wants to say.

Again--I gave you perfectly accurate statistics as well, about abortion. There's not a single abortion out there that was because of a gay marriage. Granted, the CDC is a respected scientific community, but can you really say that my statistics are inaccurate?

So--if my statistics are as accurate as the CDC's, then what does that say about statistics in general?

Basically--what the hell is your point? Should people with AIDS not be allowed to get married? Or just anyone that has had unprotected sex, therefore putting others at risk for any STD?

Or is it just gay men that can't get married, because somehow that thought sickens you, and you're hiding behind the AIDS argument because it's convenient?

Feb 5, 2009, 08:00 PM

I was originally replying to an assertion that hiv is transmitted via heterosexual sex as easily as it is among homosexual sex.

This is true in subsaharan Africa, not the USA.

I NEVER made risk for hiv or aids a litmus test for marriage.

Maybe you might , but I don't.

G&P
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 28, 2009, 05:22 PM
    I support civil unions but I think marriage should be between a man and a woman. I have no problem with gay people, I know several of them.
    nitelight198073 Posts: 470, Reputation: 76

Mar 28, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, in:

You're not listening.. I'm telling you what YOUR CONSTITUTION says. I know you don't like it. I dunno why. It is YOUR country, and the laws ain't too bad. The Consitution is pretty cool too.

But, I know you're not interested. That's a shame for an American. Ok. You don't wanna know the law. You keep making silly suggestions, that could only have come from your church. I ain't interested in your SILLY stuff. I'm interested in the law. You aren't.

Later.

excon
    That is why I do not like conformed religion they bend everything around a book that man wrote, oh and also I don't like a religion that gives birth to biggots and hypocrites... people who drink and do drugs and cuss like sailors all week long think that one day athe e and of the week makes up for it I know this from experience I watch people that I know... I used to be christian until I found out that most are worse than the non christian people gossipping all the time and back stabbers I would rather be a sinner and a good person that be saved and be horrible

Mar 28, 2009, 06:18 PM
    What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality take a look all christians and curious others please

Mar 28, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Thank you liz I was wondering what kind of response I would get
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Mar 28, 2009, 06:52 PM

Being against gays IS being intorerant because you you are not tolerant of gays. Teaching children that it is wrong to be gay is wrong. People should believe in what they want not what their parents want. If they agree with you enforce what they believe, but don't brainwash them into believing what you want them to. I don't know why people who are against gays even care! I can't stand people who protest against people they don't even know that are doing nothing wrong. Why do they care that gays they don't even know are getting married? Just because they they think it's sinful? It's like protesting it front of a house with a couple that cheated on each other. You would be knocking on half of all the world's doors. Why bother?

Mar 29, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nitelight198073 View Post
    that is why i do not like conformed religion they bend everything around a book that man wrote, oh and also i dont like a religion that gives birth to biggots and hypocrites... people who drink and do drugs and cuss like sailors all week long think that one day athe e nd of the week makes up for it i know this from experience i watch people that i know... i used to be christian until i found out that most are worse than the non christian people gossipping all the time and back stabbers i would rather be a sinner and a good person that be saved and be horrible

Kind of oxymoronic there ;)

It is religion that makes someone think they are better than another when they are not.

Are you not doing the same thing?

I have no problem saying I am a sinner, I am not perfect, and never will be in this lifetime.
    A true church is basically a sinners anonymous meeting with all declaring dependence, trust, and love for God.

Oh, by the way, that includes sins other than homosexuality. :)

G&P
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 06:43 AM

Nitelight I agree with everything you said and like the link.

You know I dislike the most about people? People who say "I have no problems with gay, I even know some, I support civil unions but marriage is only between man and woman". I think that is a contradiction.

My friend is a Christian and she is a pastor in NC. She is a lesbian and been together 11 years with her partner. They got marriage and recently adopted twins.

Now I have another friend that is Christian and he is totally against my other friend. He judges her because she is a lesbian and a pastor and swears she is damn to hell.

Now my other friend, that is the lesbian, accepts everyone in her church without judgement and the sweetest person you know and a friend you can count on. A lot of people, especially people in her own religion, doesn't accept her but she doesn't let them get under her skin nor pay them any mind for that matter. I am proud of her.

The gay communication have to deal with a lot on a day to day basic but I must say they all have tough skin and stick together. When I go to Gay Pride day, I've so much fun and laughs with them so that is why I go there every year to support them and to have a fun time.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    You know I dislike the most about people? People who say "I have no problems with gay, I even know some, I support civil unions but marriage is only between man and woman". I think that is a contradiction.
    No, that's not a contradiction, those people are saying they're tolerant. According to that sentence, those people may not dislike gay couples, but that doesn't mean they want them take part in the "exclusivity" of marriage.

The misnomer is tolerance means respect or admiration, and it doesn't, not even close. People like that tolerate their existence only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this the kind of tolerance and unity we can expect? [ 12 Answers ]

I've heard all this talk of how Obama is going to unite the country, so why are Obama supporters doing things like wanting Joe the Plumber dead? Brian Maloney who picked up this on-air obscenity laced diatribe from San Francisco KGO radio host Karel, who called for the “death” of Samuel Joseph...

Beyond Tolerance to Inclusion? [ 3 Answers ]

A dozen Sandia National Laboratories employees recently objected to an announcement for a workshop titled "White Privilege and Diversity" at their upcoming "Beyond Tolerance to Inclusion" conference. At least the intolerant idiots at the University of Delaware have some company. I think it...

Religious Tolerance [ 69 Answers ]

In general, who are more tolerant of differing religious views--Protestants or Catholics?

Heat tolerance: clay or glass? [ 2 Answers ]

If I were to pour really hot boiling water onto a bowl, which would have better heat tolerance, the clay or the glass? To mods: If this fits chemistry better, please move it.

View more questions Search