Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hitman3479 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Sewage Vent Issue
    I am in desperate need of advice for a sewer gas issue that has gotten rancid in my home. Approximately a month ago I had my septic tank pumped out. A week after that I started getting a sewer smell in my house. I started by examining all the usual suspects. All of my traps seem to be working and there are no smells coming from my drains. It got so rank last night that it woke me out of a dead sleep. After reading many forums I decided to take a look in my attic and see if I had a disconnected or broken sewer vent line. The minute that I opened the trap door to the attic the smell almost sent me falling backwards off the ladder. Immediately I thought one of my vents must be plugged or broken. To my dismay I snaked both of them on the roof and there was no clogs or blockage. I also performed the hot water test with my brother pouring hot water down the pipe while I listened in my basement at the main hub which goes to my septic tank and I could hear the water running down. We both went back in the attic and were able to trace which pipe is having the issues. Nothing from what we can see on the pipe is broken, but there is water and frost all over around the pipe and the pipe itself had frost on it. My assumption at this point is that the roofing metal chimey and flange that goes around the black PVC pipe must be leaking water and thus making it damp around the area of the sewage vent. What I cannot for life of me figure out is how in the world there is a sewage gas leak that goes along with this issue when the pipe that is supposed to be venting it seems to not have any issue. Before I hire a crew to tear my house in half I am praying that someone has some advice.
    Sincerely "Losing My Marbles"
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 3, 2008, 09:20 AM
    there is water and frost all over around the pipe and the pipe itself had frost on it.
    Did you smell the frost? Could it be frozen sewer gas? Does the water smell? Was there water around the pipe before you poured hot water down the roof vent? Did you check under the insulation for a open pipe? Let's have more details if you have them. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage odor from vent pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a sewage smell that comes and goes. We think it might be from the vent pipes On the top of the house. How do we verify this and if so, what would be the cause? >Moved from Forum Help<

Drainage/Sewage issue [ 1 Answers ]

After tons of rain last night, our basement has flooded. The whole house smells like sewage and we are unsure which step to take first. We have had issues with a couple of outside drains that would not want to drain properly and put a small amount of water on the floor some times. This issue...

Installing direct inline sewage vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home with the typical roof vents for sewage. After setup, the system is not draing properly. Everyone says I need another vent for sewage in addition to the one through the roof. Can I install one directly in the main sewage line, specifically near the clean out? If so, what exactly...

How to Vent Sewage Ejector System [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a basement bathroom that will utilize a sewage ejector system since the sewer main line is above the floor. Since there is no easy chase to run a vent line three stories up to the roof, can I vent through a side exterior wall of the house? Can the line be capped...

Sewage gas from return vent [ 2 Answers ]

I am smelling sewage gas from my ac vents... mostly the return vent which is at the ceiling in a small hallway... the smell concentrates in that hallway.. there is a half bath in that hall as well... the smell is not so much in the bathroom... I also will get the smell on the other side of the...

View more questions Search