Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heatherpratt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Old roommate didn't pay bills and I took out of her deposit
    So I got an apartment on my own in NYC and only I am on the lease. I paid first month, last month, security, and broker fee to move in. in the mean time I got a roommate then she moved out. Then I got a new roommate that paid her first month rent and a security deposit. Not to the landlord but for me. To cover me getting stuck with bills or damage or getting robbed or anything. This is what is always done and not unheard of.
    So after I move out and my roommate she was given a 45-day notice, we agreed that either of us only needs to give 30 days. So I got an apartment on my own in NYC and only I am on the lease. I paid first month, last month, security, and broker fee to move in. in the mean time I got a roommate then she moved out. Then I got a new roommate that paid her first month rent and a security deposit. Not to the landlord but for me. To cover me getting stuck with bills or damage or getting robbed or anything. This is what is always done and not unheard of.
    So after I move out and my roommate she was given a 45-day notice, we agreed that either of us only needs to give 30 days.
    I get my deposit back I paid to my landlord when I got the place on my own. I get stuck with all kinds of unpaid utility bills that my old roommate left in my name. So I deduct that and give her the remainder of the money she gave me. She thinks I’m in the wrong. And wants to sue me, but I have all the unpaid bills and I am the only one entitled to the deposit from the landlord. Please help
    I get my deposit back I paid to my landlord when I got the place on my own. I get stuck with all kinds of unpaid utility bills that my old roommate left in my name. So I deduct that and give her the remainder of the money she gave me. She thinks I’m in the wrong. And wants to sue me, but I have all the unpaid bills and I am the only one entitled to the deposit from the landlord. Please help
    chocolate101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 09:47 PM

Well I think you shouldn't have taken her money and used it but you could have done something about the bills in your name
    badboymagnet Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
    According to NYS Laws you were basically subletting but you didn't mention if the roommate signed any sort of lease. If not, then you probably have no grounds to keep her deposit even if she caused any damages. Since you mentioned you received your full deposit back from your previous landlord then I assume there were no damages. If the ex-roomie takes you to small claims court then I would counter sue, state your case with bills in hand and cross your fingers because if it was just a verbal arrangement then it will be a "he said-she said" situation which you could still win. I live in NY but not a lawyer... it's just a similuar situation a friend experienced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate kicked out because he didn't pay bills and was physically aggressive. [ 12 Answers ]

I only lived with my roommate for a month, we moved in on good faith from the landlord who let us pay 1st months rent and half the security, all of which I paid. As the month wore on, he didn't give me any money nor did he attempt to turn on any utilities in his name. After he became physically...

After giving a 30 day notice is that roommate responsible for bills? [ 4 Answers ]

Good Morning, My Best Friend/Roommate gave me her 30 day notice on Jan 3rd. Since then she has only been here once to pack her stuff. In the Meantime, I have received the bills that need to be paid for December and January. Isn't she responsible for her portion whether she is here or not? I need...

Roommate returning deposit ia [ 1 Answers ]

Hey found this site hope its helpful! Anyway last year ,aug1 2006, I signed into a lease with another person for a $600 a mo. Apartment in ia. Paid first and last mo rent upfront and we were both on the lease. However about 6 months through the lease rm told me they were moving out w/ someone...

Roommate left his belongings and did not pay his share of bills and rent [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and one other person are on a written lease agreement. Our third roommate was on a verbal lease agreement. He stopped living at our residence almost 4 months ago and left all of his belongings. He will randomly state he wants his stuff back, and we say we want the $700+ he owes us. Can we...

View more questions Search