Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rittjj Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 09:34 AM
    How do I disable the onboard video card on a Gateway GT-5032.
    The onboard video card is starting to fail, I would like to install a GeForce FX 7200GS into the PCI Express slot but he new card is not being seen and I am thinking that I may need disable the onboard card first. Cannot find jumpers on mother board and cannot find anything in bios to disable onboard video card.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 10:07 AM
    You should be able to do that in the BIOS settings.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    You should be able to do that in the BIOS settings.
    I could not find anything in the BIOS concerning the video card. I noticed that some features in the BIOS where locked (wake on LAN). I successfully flashed the BIOS which unlocked features (wake on LAN) but still nothing about the onboard video card.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 10:31 AM
    You may have to install the card first then reboot. Let it boot normally, some BIOS will automatically use the add-in card, if not then reboot to the BIOS and look for the appearance of an entry to disable the onboard video.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    You may have to install the card first then reboot. Let it boot normally, some BIOS will automatically use the add-in card, if not then reboot to the BIOS and look for the appearance of an entry to disable the onboard video.
    Been there, did that, got the T-shirt :). I have put the card in a different machine thinking that the card may be defective but the other machine saw it so it is not the card. Is it possible that I need to load a PCIE diver? Is it possible that the slot needs to be turned on somehow? Is the mother bord bad?? :eek:
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 2, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Most of the time anything plugged into a PCI-E slot will be read automatically but here is something you can try. It has worked for me before.

1) The easiest way to disable the onboard video card is to go into the

Control Panel-->Device Manager

In the device manager you should see a list of the hardware devices installed on your computer. Find the one that says Display Adapters or something to that affect. Click the + sign for a drop down list. Right click your onboard video card and go to properties. Under the tab that says Drivers, click the button that says disable.

2) Go to NVidia's website (Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies) and find your driver. The driver may take a while to download. Install the driver and then you should be able to go into the device manager again and find the new video card as being the primary one.

If this doesn't work I can help you a little more so let me know.

Aaron

Dec 3, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Tried what you suggested but this did not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by amsteube View Post
    Most of the time anything plugged into a PCI-E slot will be read automatically but here is something you can try. It has worked for me before.

1) The easiest way to disable the onboard video card is to go into the

Control Panel-->Device Manager

In the device manager you should see a list of the hardware devices installed on your computer. Find the one that says Display Adapters or something to that affect. Click the + sign for a drop down list. Right click your onboard video card and go to properties. Under the tab that says Drivers, click the button that says disable.

2) Go to NVidia's website (Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies) and find your driver. The driver may take a while to download. Install the driver and then you should be able to go into the device manager again and find the new video card as being the primary one.

If this doesn't work I can help you a little more so let me know.

Aaron
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 09:10 AM
    It maybe time to go shopping. At least you now know to get a desktop without onboard video (onboard audio has never been a problem for me).

Dec 3, 2008, 09:51 AM
    What's not working? Disabling the onboard video or the PCI-E slot reading the new graphics card? Because you probably won't be able to disable the on-board video until the new card is installed. Many new computers will default to any installed VGA (i.e. your new video card) so I think the problem is with the motherboard reading the PCI-E slot.

Also is your system overclocked or stock? Any mods or upgrades?

Dec 4, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amsteube View Post
    What's not working? Disabling the onboard video or the PCI-E slot reading the new graphics card? Because you probably won't be able to disable the on-board video until the new card is installed. Many new computers will default to any installed VGA (i.e. your new video card) so I think the problem is with the motherboard reading the PCI-E slot.

Also is your system overclocked or stock? Any mods or upgrades?
    System is not seeing the new video card. The system is stock, no mods or upgrades.

Dec 5, 2008, 08:07 AM
    You are not going to believe this, I had a friend come over to look at the PC. While my back was turned he reached in to remove a heat sink from the chipset (don’t ask why). The PC shutdown (yes the computer was on). We started the PC up and waited for the monitor to show something, anything, but no….nothing! This is just great, I thought, now I have no video…poor video would have been better than no video! Anyway just for the heck of it, we plugged the monitor into the new card….it works. My friend is calling himself a genius, I am calling him lucky, very lucky.

Dec 5, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Good. That was why I asked if it was overclocked or modified. I've heard of stuff like this happen on overclocked or H2O cooled systems. Never on a stock system before though. I was going to tell you to return it to stock if it was modded but I'm glad you got it working.

Aaron
    digitalfirex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rittjj View Post
    You are not going to believe this, I had a friend come over to look at the PC. While my back was turned he reached in to remove a heat sink from the chipset (don’t ask why). The PC shutdown (yes the computer was on). We started the PC up and waited for the monitor to show something, anything, but no….nothing!! This is just great, I thought, now I have no video…poor video would have been better than no video! Anyway just for the heck of it, we plugged the monitor into the new card….it works. My friend is calling himself a genius, I am calling him lucky, very lucky.
    What heat sink did he remove? I am having this same problem on this same computer... except I have no video right now so I cannot try anything with bios. :mad::(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I disable onboard audio on ASUS P4Pe motherboard? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace the onboard audio with a SoundBlaster card, but first need to disable the onboard audio. I could find no provision for that in the bios, so don't know how to go about disabling the onboard sound. Sure hope someone can steer me in the right direction!

What is the PCI-E Video Card equivalent to this AGP Video Card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a turmoil to either upgrade my AGP Video Card to another AGP or a PCI-E. Most of you will say upgrade a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot, but that means upgrading everything else including memory, video card, MAYBE CPU - and that could mean a whole lot because I don't want to buy a cheap...

Video card [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, The problem is that I can't get anymore than 16 colors. I have purchased two different VGA card with cd holding the software (drivers). Here's my PC info please help Thanks .

Help with video card [ 1 Answers ]

I was given an older pc. I had to reformat and now I'm having problems with the display. From what I can see, my video card is a 3D-FX. How can I find which version and where can I find the drivers for it. Operating Win95.

View more questions Search