Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bailesa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Backed up Dishwasher
    The other night my dishwasher started leaking. The water was not draining therefore it started coming out of the front. The next day we tried running it again. This time it drained however water was slowly coming up from underground right behind the dishwasher outside. There was also an "old water" smell in the air. What could this be?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bailesa View Post
    The other night my dishwasher started leaking. The water was not draining therefore it started coming out of the front. The next day we tried running it again. This time it drained however water was slowly coming up from underground right behind the dishwasher outside. There was also an "old water" smell in the air. What could this be?
    This sounds like a clog in either the hose or the air gap. Air gaps come in two flavors, (see images) which do you have? ( My bet's on a counter top air gap) Let me know, Tom

Dec 2, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Thanks Tom! I do not have a counter top air gap. Does is sound like a busted pipe since there is water coming from under ground? How can I check for a clog?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 10:22 AM

Check inside the cabinet and locate the hose coming out of the DW, see where is it connected follow Tom's drawings and tell us, Thanks.

John

Dec 2, 2008, 12:30 PM

OK I have the system on the bottom portion of the drawing outlined in red. A clear hose goes from my disposal to the dishwasher. Last night I used my sink a lot (since the dw is out) and noticed water was draining in the yard again. Help!
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:50 PM

Now that you don't have an air gap installed, it sounds that there is a clog between the D/W and G/D.
    First Disconnect the hose at the G/D get a screw driver and check if the port at GD is open, if it is then checking the hose from D/W to G/D for any obstruction, Good luck

Dec 2, 2008, 12:55 PM

Can a clog cause the water to leak in the yard and the oder?
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 01:08 PM

It looks like you have clog in the drain down stream of your sink, you need to snak it, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backed Up Dishwasher [ 14 Answers ]

Hi. I noticed that the dishes in my dishwasher weren't dry or clean, so I ran it again. Now I looked and there is about two inches of water sitting in the bottom. I recently replaced the garbage disposal (about a week ago) and also have no hot water coming from my kitchen sink. That started...

Backed up toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a city water line and I just came home to a flooded guest bathroom. There was nasty stuff in the bathtub of both the master and the guest bathroom. I flushed the tiloet in the bathroom where the flood was and water started leakin out of where the toilet is attached to the floor. The...

Backed up sink [ 2 Answers ]

How do I stop my kitchen sink from overflowing? It seems to be backed up. As much as I keep taking out water it keeps coming up.

Backed up shower [ 1 Answers ]

When we flush the toilet it causes a flow up into the standing shower next to it. We have a separated bath room that works fine so do not believe it is the septic tank. Would a liquid drain cleaner help or must we remove the toilet and run a snake down the line to unclogg it? Thanks,...

Showers backed up [ 1 Answers ]

While I was taking a shower last night, my wife flushed the toilet in our other bathroom and the toilet in the bathroom I was in started gurgling. After the gurgling stopped the shower would not drain. I used a plunger on the drain in the tub and it would not drain. Now the shower in the other...

View more questions Search