Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leostar806 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Can I submit a written response to a summons requesting more time?
    I received a summons regarding a delinquency on a credit card and the courts only gave me 20 calendar days to provide a written response. Can I submit a written response requesting more time and if so, what would be the best way to put it in writing?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2008, 04:19 PM

Why would you need more time? Just respond that you Intent to Defend and request a hearing date.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 07:30 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    Leostar806 disagrees: The reason I need more time is that I don't have the means to settle and I fear my wages will be garnished, liens will be placed, etc. I own property that I currently have on the market and I need more time to sell it & satisfy this debt.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest that you read the rules for posting and responding. Scott was not legally incorrect. Submit the answer that you intend to defend, ask for proof - that will buy you time. The time to respond is set by Statute and I see no grounds to waive it, nor will the Court.

Have you communicated with the creditor, explained your situation, or is it too late for that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2008, 08:06 PM

Comments on this post
    Leostar806 disagrees: The reason I need more time is that I don't have the means to settle and I fear my wages will be garnished, liens will be placed, etc. I own property that I currently have on the market and I need more time to sell it & satisfy this debt.

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Your question was unclear. It appeared you were looking for more time to prepare a response. That was the question I answer and it was a correct answer.

You can try to delay the hearing date to give you more time to work out a settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a SAMPLE written response to the courts. [ 1 Answers ]

We received a Summons from the courts in Florida, us of the property that we are currently leasing is in Foreclosure. The notice advised that we should answer within 20 calendar days. However, we have never answered one of these before. Can you give us a sample written response, as a guide line of...

My written response to a judgement before it is finalized? [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Madam or Sir, I kindly request your advice. I have a credit debt about to be pushed through to a judgment over the next 10 days. I am proceeding to the court to “answer” the court’s request for a reply. I can pay the debt in full but not before the 10 days are up. The lawyer firm is adamant...

Response to Summons [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons for cc debt and wanted to know the easiest, usual way of responding to a court, a registered letter?

Judge Counterclaim Written Response Credit Card Debt Lawsuit Court [ 6 Answers ]

I am being sued by Zwicker and Associates for a debt they claim I owe. It is around $11750.00 I did show up for court. The judge stated that within 14 days I must file a counterclaim and that Zwicker must provide proof of debt. They have broken various aspects of the Fair Debt Collections Act. How...

Response to summons [ 1 Answers ]

How to respond to court and plaintiff after summons is served for an unpaid credit card which was from a business with 3 partners and I was the garator on the credit card and the business was dissolved.

View more questions Search