Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rakiswanson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 01:55 PM
    How can my husband adopt my daughter from a previous relationship?
    My daughter's biological father has not been in her life since she was 3 months old; no contact of any sort. Since he has left, I have met and married a wonderful man; who has raised and supported my daughter. My husband would like to adopt my daughter, however, I have not known how to contact her biological father; until a week ago.
    We have consulted a lawyer to start the adoption process, but they were not very supportive or positive rather, on him waiving his rights to allow this adoption.
    Don't they have laws in place that allow the rights of the father to be waived if there hasn't been any type of contact?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 02:07 PM

You cannot force anyone to relinquish their parental rights unless they are a DANGER to the child.

What does your lawyer say?

A family lawyer will have more information on what is pertinent to your case.

You should, however, now that you've located this guy---go after him for child support, including back support. When he finds out he has to PAY, he may be willing to sign them away if you waive the back support.

Again, your lawyer would have better information on this than anyone here could give you.
    lovely87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Comment on Synnen's post
    Good answer, but I would have tried the adoption in stead.
    Lissyluv37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2013, 11:01 PM
    You can't really get backed up child support any further than the day you filed for child support. Trust me I tried with my daughters dad. He promised to send me money for awhile and never did. So I finally went to the courts and they only ordered child support from the month I filed for it. And that was "backed up child support" too because it takes about 6-12 months for the paperwork to go through and file everything and blah blah blah. By the time the year passed and finally the order went through he quit his job so he didn't have to pay me! So I am dying for my husband to adopt my daughter but I know my ex would say no to it so I'm stuck with the guy bugging us for the rest of our lives. Even if he has never even met his daughter! Sad world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My husband child from previous relationship. [ 11 Answers ]

Help my husband of 2 years has a child from previous relationship.. The problem is that the ex and her parents have denied my husband any right to see his daughter.. He is to the point where he doesn't care... The entire time he has been paying child support, and even allows her to claim the...

Can my husband adopt my daughter from a previous relationship? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6 yr old daughter that my husband has raised as his own since she was 2 1/2 years old, she hasn't seen her father since she was 1, we don't know where he lives or even if he is still in england, my husband really wants to adopt her can he do this without my daughters biological fathers...

Can my husband adopt my daughter from a previous relationship? [ 1 Answers ]

Can my husband adopt my daughter from a previous relationship? Her father has nothing to do with her and hasn't done since she was 1 yrs old, can we do this without her fathers consent?

Husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My ex husband has custody of my daughter which he is not the biologial father. I want to bring her home so bad. I got remarried and my now husband wants to adopt her. Are there any chances for us and if so, what would be the first step? Please somebody help us!!

How can my husband adopt my daughter from my previous marriage? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband signed over all rights to my 21 month old little girl and I recently got remarried. My new husband would like to adopt her, but I don't know how to go about it or where to start to look for help. I don't have money to go to a lawyer but it would mean a lot to the three of us if...

View more questions Search