Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imajohnhead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Lights dimming periodically
    I went to do a service call for a local restaurant that complained about their lights dimming when periodically throughout the day. I started at the panel and found that the feeder wires were supplying very close to 120 volts on every phase to ground and nuetral and 205-206 volts between phases.

Further more, all lighting branch circuits are on their own breaker so overloading the circuit is not the issue. Their receiving a 400 amp service which should be sufficient for the equipment they are running.

I am scratching my head as to why their lights are dimming, especially when the dishwasher kicks on, because correct wire gauges were used, correctly sized breakers are used and the voltage coming into the building is pretty much spot on.

Any information to help me with this would be greatly appreciated. This problem really opens up a can of worms because of the potential of so many factors involved.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 03:45 AM
    Hi, imajohnhead!

I moved your question out of the Small Business forum area into this one in the hopes that it will be more likely to get noticed and answered to your satisfaction.

With over 300 subject specific forum areas on Ask Me Help Desk, there are certain forums where certain experts tend to most always answer, and I thought that your question would be better served by placing it in this one.

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 03:52 AM
    Most likely there is a loose or bad connection in the feeder system, which can be at the utility pole, utility connections of the aerial or underground feeder, inside the utility meter, or the panel or main breaker.

An electrician and the utility company needs to be on site to check the entire feeder and distribution system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dimming of low voltage lights [ 7 Answers ]

150 amp underground service 3 wire 150 amp 30 circuit panel .The branch circuit is a 15 amp 14/3 with ground . 14/3 feeds to a 4" round box , 1 circuit feeds through to another branch circuit in the house , the other circuit feeds a pull chain fixture that has a compact fluorescent lamp in it....

Lights dimming in entire house [ 2 Answers ]

We're having an intermittent issue with lights dimming in the entire house (or at least on different circuits at the same time). I do NOT notice any brightening of the lights, just dimming. The lights will flash from normal to slightly dim and back and forth usually for about 2 or 3 seconds then...

Lights dimming [ 1 Answers ]

What should I look for when troubleshooting lights that dim. When a contractor plugs in paint sprayer or air compressor it causes the lights to dim in the hallway. Too many circuits on that breaker? Or ---- Guy

Lights on one circuit keep dimming [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a home built in the 40's. It has the old cloth covered wiring, new panel and breakers (6 years old). I have one circuit (which is very much overloaded) that never had a problem before (as long as the blow dryer wasn't on with anything else). I recently replaced a switch in...

Dimming lights a safety issue? [ 2 Answers ]

Folks, My lights dim when we run the vacuum, carpet cleaner or any other bigger appliance. I have seen lights dim before and then fade back on to normal after a few seconds. Ours do not do that, they simply dim and stay that way until you turn off the device... Question... Is this a problem or...

View more questions Search