Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mr Lucky Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2006, 03:50 PM
    New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light
    Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Jul 1, 2006, 03:54 PM
    P.S. Normally I would just simply follow the same pattern of the connections on the old switch, but the old switch wires were purple, yellow and blue... lol. Again any help would be appreciated.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Are you sure these are the wires for the light switch and not for the fan switch?

How many light settings did your old light switch have? Was it marked L-1-2? Is the new switch marked L-1-2?

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...and-repair.php

Jul 2, 2006, 04:55 AM
    Yes, the wires are for the pull chain light switch. On the old pull chain switch. There was a purple wire running to the blue wire and the others (yellow and blue) were capped. The lights worked but you could not turn off the light with the pull chain. I thought the switch may have been bad, but now I think it is not wired properly, or that one of these others needs to be connected.

The fan works well and can be turned off at the wall switch and by the pull chain. The light works but can only be turned off at the wall switch, which in turn then turns off the fan. Coming down from the fan motor to the light switch are the blue and white wires which had twist caps. All other wires were capped with clear caps that were crimped.

Both the old and new switches are marked with L 1 and 2. On the old switch the purple wire was marked with "L" and connected, the others (yellow and blue) were capped off.

Jul 3, 2006, 08:42 AM
    For further clarification, the blue and white wires are tagged with "light" stickers. The black wire (L) coming from the pull chain light switch is connected to the blue wire. The other 2 wires (1 & 2) that are blue and red are not connected to anything and are capped off. Right now the fan and light both work but you can not control the light with the pull chain.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Ok what wires are coming from the light fixture itself? There should be black and white wires coming from the light socket(s). The white wires connect to the white wire from the fan. The black wires connected to 1 and 2 respectively on the pullchain. The blue wire from the fan connects to "L".

Jul 4, 2006, 05:27 AM
    Yes the wires coming from the socket are black and white. I connected the white wire to white, the "L" to the blue wire and 1 & 2 to the black wire as you suggested. The pull chain for the light switch now works but it takes 3 pulls to turn off the light with the pull chain. It comes on on the first pull but again takes 3 pulls to turn off with the chain.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 10:16 AM
    That's because you have a three position pullchain. You can use this if you want to control the lights separately-- position one, one light on, position two, the other light on, position three, both lights on-- otherwise you should just use a simple two wire, on off pullchain.

Do you only have one black wire from the light? How many bulbs does it use?

Jul 12, 2006, 06:08 AM
    There are 3 bulbs. Each bulb has a black and white wire coming from it. The 3 white wires are connected together with a separate white wire coming from those, which is connected to the wire wire coming down that is marked for light. As well, the 3 black wires are connected together with a separate black wire coming out.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Ok. Connect "L" to blue from the fan. Connect "1" to black from ONE of the light sockets. Connect "2" to the other two blacks from the other two light sockets. Connect all four white wires together.

Aug 3, 2006, 05:41 PM
    That did the trick :) Thank you so very much for your help with this. All is working perfectly now.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 09:29 PM
    I'm glad it works
    DLThompson Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Thank you so much. I had EXACTLY the same problem, and your solution was just the trick. Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 02:05 PM
    No problem.
    Billbob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 10:45 PM
    I have a ceiling fan. My wife took it all apart when I was in camp as she wanted to paint the parts to match our new dinning room colors. I don't know what goes where. There are for wires that come down from the motor, they are red,yellow,white and blue. There are two wires coming down from the octagon box, they are red and black. There are four wires from one switch which I believe is the reverse switch, they are blue, yellow, white and grey and then there is another switch which has black, grey, white and blue, the white and blue go to a black box which has one red wire coming out of it. It has a diagram on it that has blue on one side and white on the other the white side says1yf and the blue says 2yf. The y's are more like a u with a tail on it. Any way if you would be so kind as to tell me which wires to connect together I would be forever thankful. I have marrettes and am quite good at automotive wiring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan will not work after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch [ 129 Answers ]

I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed) Ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch. After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn At all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds And even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first...

Ceiling fan switch replacement-chain broke [ 3 Answers ]

The chain to operate my 3 speed fan broke off. I have no way of turning off the fan so I flipped the switch in my electrical box to the room. I have marked the position of the 4 wires and am trying to remove them from the switch, however, they appear to be sodered. I read in one article that I...

Ceiling fan light pull chain replacement [ 5 Answers ]

Pull chain on the ceiling fan light broke off, so I pulled it down, and figured out what to buy, but at some point one of the two black wires going to it came loose, presumably out of a screw cap. Does it just go in the cap with the other black load wires (3 still together)? Do I understand...

Replacing a pull chain switch [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My new pull chain switch has (only) two black wires; how do I connect it to the ceiling wires (one black, one white, plus the ground wire)? Thank you! Willow

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

View more questions Search