Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phaedrus69 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 10:47 AM
    2001 vw cabrio ck engine lt
    We've taken our cabrio into a local mechanic first for this light, a couple of times, and then to the dealership now twice. They've changed out the fuel pump relay, MAF, all hoses, oil dipstick funnel. The last time at the dealership is when they changed the hoses, the fuel pump relay, and purged the solonoid (?). They told us that if the light came back on, they'd have to replace the solonoid. There have been numerous codes, and a lot have to do with fuel system components being shorted to ground, and a long term fuel trim too lean. Injector circuits 1-4 shorted to ground, evaporative canister purge valve circuit shorted to ground, secondary air system shorted to ground, evaporative leak detection pump circuit shorted to ground, idle speed adaptation limit reached. My question is, could this solonoid cause these issues, and what solonoid are they referring to?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 07:56 AM

First, how is the car running? Smooth but with the check engine light on.
    Or is it running poorly and perhaps due for some engine maintenance?

Secondly, what are the codes? There may be multiple codes set in the emissions system. You mentioned a solenoid as a potential problem. In the emissions system, that could be either the Evap Purge Solenoid or the Canister Vent Valve Solenoid.
    If one of those were replaced because it was sticking intermittently or completely failed, but the light is back on, replace the other solenoid.

Sometimes the diagnosis on these evap systems can be tricky. Especially when the problem is intermittent: "Now the light's off, but it was on yesterday." The best time to bring your car in for diag is when the light is currently ON. If need be, call your shop on the way over and when you get there, don't shut the engine off. Leave it running until the tech can get the scan tool plugged in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Nissan Altima Service Engine Soon Light [ 7 Answers ]

After a problem is corrected how do you reset (turn off) the Service Engine Soon Light on a 2001 Nissan Altima?

2001 check engine light won't stay off [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! My check engine light came on and I had the catalytic converter replaced and the O2 sensors as well. I am not sure if they replaced 3 or 2 but will verify. The light still comes on and the code is still the same, catalytic converter. What can I do?

2001 GMC 2500HD engine shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

Got a problem with my truck, 2001 GMC 2500HD Sierra. About 6 months ago ABS & Low Fuel Light would come on and stay on 80% of the time the truck was running. Truck also shuts off while driving along, everything just shuts down. Took it to a local dealership, they put it on their machine, said...

2001 Chrysler Sebring Check Engine Light [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reset the Check Engine light on a 2001 Chrysler Sebring?

Engine light on Chev venture 2001 [ 2 Answers ]

The engine light is on, we had the van in for some repairs but they couldn't get the light to go out after?

View more questions Search