Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breedluvc Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Toilet won't flush completely
    Ok here is a tricky one. Our guest bathroom toilet stopped flushing. The swirl is not there and the bowl does not empty and take the waste down. We have pulled the toilet off and snaked it and also snaked the line and found nothing. We have replaced the old toilet with a new one and nothing changed. We also replaced the flushing parts and nothing. When you flush the toilet it takes a little water down but then just fills up then will drain back out slowly. Our other toilet in the house works just fine. We are also on a septic system if that makes a difference. Please help we are pulling our hair out!!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Hi Breedluvc...

With this description I'm going to suggest that it is possible that the VENT to the toilet is blocked and the VENT needs to be snaked.

The vent could be a vent pipe going straight up and out through the roof... OR it could be the LAVATORY DRAIN PIPE/VENT acting as a WET VENT for the toilet.

Here you snake from the roof vent to the basement (if roof has little pitch) OR you snake from the lavatory DRAIN PIPE, or finally, you snake from the lavatory vent in the attic. You may need to cut into the lavatory vent pipe in the attic to access the problem.

Chase out the vent pipes in the ceiling/attic/roof a bit.. see what you discover. The blockage could be leaves, pine needles, an animal's nest, etc... so do be prepared for an animal just in case a nest is present and still being used... ;)

Let us know...

MARK

Dec 1, 2008, 05:09 PM
    [Ok so I snaked the vent that comes out of our roof. It came out a little muddy at the end but that was all the snake came out with, can I run water down it? Or what is the next step? Also the water that is in the bowl drains out slowly.. Please help

QUOTE=massplumber2008;1402843]Hi Breedluvc...

With this description I'm going to suggest that it is possible that the VENT to the toilet is blocked and the VENT needs to be snaked.

The vent could be a vent pipe going straight up and out through the roof... OR it could be the LAVATORY DRAIN PIPE/VENT acting as a WET VENT for the toilet.

Here you snake from the roof vent to the basement (if roof has little pitch) OR you snake from the lavatory DRAIN PIPE, or finally, you snake from the lavatory vent in the attic. You may need to cut into the lavatory vent pipe in the attic to access the problem.

Chase out the vent pipes in the ceiling/attic/roof a bit.. see what you discover. The blockage could be leaves, pine needles, an animal's nest, etc... so do be prepared for an animal just in case a nest is present and still being used... ;)

Let us know...

MARK[/QUOTE]

Dec 1, 2008, 05:09 PM

Ok so I snaked the vent that comes out of our roof. It came out a little muddy at the end but that was all the snake came out with, can I run water down it? Or what is the next step? Also the water that is in the bowl drains out slowly.. Please help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet will not flush completely [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, I had just found this forum and this is my first post. My elderly parents live in a 2 story old home with two bathrooms, one on each floor. The toilet on the ground level flushes fine. The one upstairs will not flush solids without filling up a bucket of water and emptying it in the toilet....

My toilet will not completely flush [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My toilet will not completely flush. I have to stand there and hold the handle down and still sometimes it will not get rid of everything in the toilet bowl. I have adjusted the chain so that it has almost no slack at all. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for any help you may be...

Toilet will not flush completely [ 14 Answers ]

Installed a new toilet in the basement, it was preplumbed for the shower, sink, and toilet when house was built (in 1986?). Toilet will not completely remove solid waste without flushing it several times and also has to be plunged, in addition, sometimes before it all goes down and toilet works...

Toilet does not completely flush [ 6 Answers ]

I have a basement toilet and also a septic system. When flushed, the toilet fills almost to the top and then goes down like it normally would, but does not completely empty. Looks like a small water funnel twisting around, but just does not make that final "burp" as the water fully leaves. Have...

Toilet will not completely flush [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced all the insides of my toilet, now when I flush I have to hold the handle down until all the water runs out of the bowl. If not almost as soon as I let the handle go the flapper will cover up the hole that drains the water into the bowl. I know this is easily fixable, but I don't...

View more questions Search