Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csmaller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Piriformis Syndrome or Lumbar Herniated Disc or both?
    I am an active 38 year old man and have a BS in exercise physiology. I am fit, in very good shape and a non smoker. I got an MRI for some lower back pain which showed L4 L5 slight herniation. I got an steroid epi shot and during the injection I got immediate burning/pins and needles excruciating pain down my left leg for the duration of the injection. About 30 seconds. The Doctor performing the injection used flouroscopy and told me it all looked correct. After the shot the sciatic pain, which was very slight if present at all (it was mostly in my lower back) became unbearable. I couldn't walk or stand in one place without pins and needles and pain shooting down my leg from my glut. Two weeks later I still have to use ski poles to put my weight on to walk. I have a history of tightness in my left side from years of kickboxing and racing mountain bikes but good overall strength. Ive been diagnosed with a tight IT band when I raced and my SI joint was out of alignment before.
    My big question now, two weeks and one 911 call to go to the hospital later with no improvement in the pain, is could it be piriformis syndrome? The research says men don't usually get it but after getting the epi shot (my back feels fine) could the needle have traumatized the area and put the muscle into spasm or could it have been there the whole time and the needle trauma just made it worse? Something else? The pain is all in my deep lower glut and it throbs. When I stand up I get pins and needles down my leg and severe pain in the glut. Thanks for your help
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 06:07 AM

We can't diagnose, csmaller, and thanks for the question, but from my information, if you do think this is the case, then stretching exercises are recommended and no physical activity (of the kind you mentioned) is not allowed. The stretching makes sense and also physical therapy. It is not a serious condition but very painful if not managed properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Degenerative Disc Disease And Failed back surgery syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

I have had three lumbar surgeries,one cervical,achilles tear,ulnar nerve transposition ad nauseum.Would a Massage Therapist be able to help the disc disease? bear022013:)

Lumbar Back pain [ 3 Answers ]

I hurt my back for the first time when i was 15. (Lifting a drawer & twisting at the same time) I Couldnt move from where i was without being in excruciating pain. Then i hurt my back again when i was 16 lifting, again i couldnt move without being in pain for up to an hour. I hurt my back again...

Crushed herniated disc [ 1 Answers ]

What are my optios on fixing this problem. I had a fall 3 months ago, am 69 year old man.

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

View more questions Search