Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uvware Posts: 57, Reputation: 9

Dec 1, 2008, 01:04 AM
    Never been on cruise Is it worth it?
    I've never been on a cruise and I've heard mixed reviews from people. My husband and I like to travel but don't like a lot of constraints, i.e. group tours, time schedules, etc.

Can someone share with me their personal experiences about their cruise?Pros Cons and Cruise lines you recommend?

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 02:29 AM

Hi, uvware!

I've never been on a cruise either. Almost went on one a year ago for free though, because the band that I was playing with was scheduled to play. However, not enough tickets were sold, so we didn't get to go.

I do know from hearing things that some cruise lines are better than others. If you click on the following link, you'll find reviews and ratings of various cruise lines.

Cruise Lines Reviews Ratings - Google Search

Hopefully, some people will come along who have had some experience with cruises who'll be able to give you some first-hand advice.

Thanks!
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 09:52 AM

My cousin and his wife went on a cruise for their honeymoon and they had a great time! The only thing they said they would recommend- and this is because she likes to shop and he doesn't, he likes to have a few beers and she's not as interested- is to bring another couple along. If you guys have the same interests you should be fine. I actually want to go on a cruise with my husband this year!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 10:24 AM

Cruises don't offer a lot of constraints. The one I went on, the formal dinners (you didn't have to go), various forms of dress each day and the shows have a fixed evenining time. Sometimes you had choices there too. If your dropped off at a port of call, you have to be back when they depart.

Breakfast and launch are whatever or nonever.

You do have to pay for food sometimes and you do have to pay for things like massage and scuba lessons, certain excursions and even internet, but your not on a leash.

Cruise line was Royal Carribian and I thing the ship was the second largest cruise ship in the world at the time.

Balcony rooms are really nice.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 10:39 AM

I've been on a few cruises, and they aren't for everyone. The only mandatory thing you can't escape from is the muster drill at the start of the cruise, which is a safety drill that takes about 20 minutes. Other than that, you can eat when you want, sleep when you want, take organized tours, do it on your own, or stay on the ship and hit the spa.

Cruises aren't must for the adventurous type, unless you are going on a small, specialty cruise. The large lines, like Carnival and Royal Caribbean are like big floating hotels - with very little adventure and or danger.

If there is a part of you that thinks you will like it, you probably will. But if crowds of people and rigid schedules aren't for you - you probably won't. Even if you go off on your own as must as possible, there's still a "schedule" to keep on a ship - visiting a place on your own is quite different in that respect.
    uvware Posts: 57, Reputation: 9

Dec 1, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, uvware!

I've never been on a cruise either. Almost went on one a year ago for free though, because the band that I was playing with was scheduled to play. However, not enough tickets were sold, so we didn't get to go.

I do know from hearing things that some cruise lines are better than others. If you click on the following link, you'll find reviews and ratings of various cruise lines.

Cruise Lines Reviews Ratings - Google Search

Hopefully, some people will come along who have had some experience with cruises who'll be able to give you some first-hand advice.

Thanks!
    Thank you!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2008, 11:47 AM

My wife and I went on our first cruise in September. We loved it. We went on an easter Caribbean cruise out of NY. The only constraint there was was specific seating times for dinners and dress up nights. Both could be avoided by using the buffet style eateries. There were choices of shore excursion or you could go on your own.

The things that we really likes were the activities. There were social activities, (trivia games and the like, vegas style shows and more). You could participate or not as you wanted.

It really depends on what you want out of a cruise.
    allinone Posts: 76, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Hello uvware,

We like cruises. Especially NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line). Check out this website. The prices are so low these days:). For example, South America destination for 14 days is only from 524:D. I guess you'll spend on the land much more.

Let me know.
    Alyeska Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Jun 27, 2009, 12:41 PM

Cruises are pleasureable unless you get seasick. Carnival Cruise Line is good.
    www.carnival.com/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

Cruise and Laptop PC? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me whether they would recommend bringing a Laptop on a Cruise ship? I guess what I'm worried about is leaving it back in our Cabin. Might it suddenly Grow legs? The Cruise Folks at Carnival assure me it would be safe in the Cabin. SO I WANTED TO GET OTHERS OPION ON THIS...

Cruise weddings [ 5 Answers ]

My hunny and I are thinking about getting married while on a cruise. My family has never been anywhere outside the US aside from Canada, and my parents are getting up in years. I want them to experience the Caribbean and a cruise. The only way to get the family together on one is to plan something...

One way cruise ticket [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a cruise ship that will accept a passenger ONE WAY, to Puerto Rico. I am not that interested in a cargo ship (but can't find one anyway), but want to go one way from NYC to P.R. since I will be staying there for good and do not plan on returning. Would it create a problem to book...

View more questions Search