Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anxious_RN Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Collecting money for underprivliged kids. I don't know where to start
    I'm not to sure where to post this at, hopefully this is the right forum.

I am wanting to do a volunteering type service where I raise money to be able to buy underprivilaged or disabled children gifts for christmas next year. I don't know where to start? I have never done anything like this before, I'm in nursing school right now with not much money for myself to even get around, and I work a full time job as well. I was thinking I could go door to do asking for donations, but I have no way to prove that the money that I would use would be going towards this and not towards other things as people may wonder. Could I go to hospitals? Or stores? I have absolutley NO idea.. so ANY suggestions, no matter if you think it may not work, will be greatly appreciated. On top of this I would also like to be able to give the parents of these children a gift certificate to a clothing/grocery store so they are set and will have a christmas to remember. Where do I start? Who do I go to? Haha.. I'm so lost on anything I'm supposed to do right now to begin this.. thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:09 PM

Well first if you are not going to have to claim the money you will need to set up a non profit corporation or find one to work with to have the money donated to. Most of your larger donations will require the non profit status.

And you go to everyone, large business, small business, stores and other groups. Try to be allowed to present a program to employees doing lunch and try to get employees at large places to assist by leading the drive at their location.

You may look at merely working with a dozen or more groups that already do this, Toys for Tots, and most religious groups have some programs as do food banks and others.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 08:13 PM

Other than working for an organization itself I don't think you can do this. You could check with some food banks and see if you can start something for holidays to help the people that go there.
    Like the food bank I go to on and off has a coat drive where a dry cleaners collects coats in Nov. and cleans them and then the food bank gives them out in Dec. They use to distribute Christmas trees. Then there is the Toys for Tots by the Marines.
    Some Bike clubs do Christmas things too.
    You need to think outside the box and maybe go a different route than collecting money. Maybe get names of families and do a
    Tree like the K Mart where I live use to do (don't know if they still do). They had a tree and you put your name on the tree if you were needy. Then the sponsor families bought the family gifts.
    So that way you are not directly involved with people having to question your motives and if the money is going to the needy.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 06:47 AM

If you want to help, and I'm sure everyone is thankful that you do, your best bet would probably be to not try to reinvent the wheel. Get in touch with an organization that already does this. My first recommendation would be to call your local Marine Corps recruiter and tell him you want to volunteer to help with toys for tots. He should be able to get you in touch with the right people. Also, try contacting some of the local civic groups like the Lions Club, Rotary club or even call your hospital's administration department and see what they do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my kids money [ 2 Answers ]

I was married to an american in South Carolina when we divorced I was given full custody but he was given a court order to pay child support I moved to england where I am originally from and he paid child support t first now he is over 20,000.00 dollars in arrears I do get the occasional letter...

Collecting Judgement Money [ 4 Answers ]

I was awarded a judgment against someone. Now that person has disappeared and I no longer have her address. Apparently, I need her address to serve a garnishment of wages. She had a lawyer in court with her. Can I send the garnishment papers to her lawyer? Or... how can I find her address or...

Collecting Contract Money [ 2 Answers ]

I worked on a contract (computer programming) about five months ago and the business owner is not paying me. The business owner claims not to have the money. Every time I contact him, I get another excuse for not having the money. I'm just starting as an independent contractor, and I have no idea...

Collecting money owed [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a electrical contractor. We did work for a general contractor and did not file a pre lien. What legal rights do we have to collect the money. This has been dragging on for months. Can you push us in the right direction.

View more questions Search