Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prolinecody Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Briggs stratton stator shorting out
    I have a 14.5 hp briggs stratton on a ariens tractor. I'm on my third stator, and I keep blowing fuses. If I put a bigger fuse in the stator starts smoking. If I disconnect the stator, start tractor and test the stator it puts out good power on both ac and dc. I can't find any bad spots on any wires. You wouldn't guess this tractor is 12 years old it's showroom condition. What do I do? Of yeah it's a vanguard motor.
    jolley1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Sounds like a bent crank. If it is bent, it will smoke and blow fuses. It is probably rubbing the stator. Pull everything out of the way, pull spark plugs and turn it by hand to see if wobbles even a little. I've seen cranks strightened by hand but you have to have a very good eye for that. Good luck.
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Dec 1, 2008, 03:23 PM
    By any chance has it had the ignition switch replaced recently?

Dec 1, 2008, 09:14 PM

I haven't replaced the key switch, but the motor is a new crate motor, so I hope the crank isn't bent. Could the switch be shorting out?

Dec 2, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Did this stator problem start right after the engine replacement?

Dec 2, 2008, 04:15 PM

Yep, the battery wouldn't charge after that. On my third new stator. I did a factory replacement so I didn't move or change anything like wiring or grounds. Now it will charge if you plug the stator in after the motor is running, but if you plug it in before you start the motor it blows the fuse. I've built lots of motors done tons of swaps, but never ran into this before.

Dec 4, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Well, we've got some good details now.

This is not an area that I am strong in. It sounds to me like a wiring problem. That's why I asked about the ignition switch. If you still have the original motor maybe you can pull the old stator and get the exact part number off it. If you've already done this then I have no clue.

Good Luck.

Dec 4, 2008, 02:14 PM

It was the key switch, must have been shorted out. Replaced it and no more blown fuses.

Dec 4, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Well all right! Maybe I did know what I was talking about after all...

Dec 5, 2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the idea! It was right on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

15.5 Briggs & Stratton, How much oil? [ 1 Answers ]

:( My husband is trying to change the oil on a 15.5 briggs & stratton (riding mower) - he cannot find anywhere where it tells him how much oil needs to be replaced, and he does not want to put too much in. Can someone please help? :)

16.5hp briggs & stratton [ 3 Answers ]

Motor starts and runs for 10-15 seconds and then dies. Noticed lot of gas around air filter. Had carb rebuilt and still same problem.?

Briggs and stratton run [ 5 Answers ]

I have a B&s 14.5 (42598x92a) on a Murray 42" riding lawn mower it was given to me the other day by a friend. It wouldn't run so I worked on it a little bit and got it running then it stopped.I figured the carb needed cleaning because it had set for awhile so I took it apart and cleaned it but I...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

View more questions Search