Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wdavishd Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 06:41 PM
    How to hook up my Satellite and other components
    I am brand new at this so bear with me while I am being stupid. I have an older but very nice Kenwood Receiver, and 3 changer cd, along with a new model Samsung DVD recorder/playback unit, Model # R155. I recently bought a 47" Phillips LCD Flatscreen HD TV, and just had Direct TV hook up a Satellite at my house. The TV has 3 HDMI ports, the Satellite Reciever/DVR has 1 HDMI port and the Samsung DVD Recorder has 1 HDMI port. I want to hook all this equipment together to get the best possible sound and picture that I can. I do realize that I have the old Kenwood Receiver and 3 changer disc player (about 10 years old), but can someone out there give me some details on hooking this all up, and where to start, and what I need to purchase in the line of cables in order to do so. I am, or should I say I used to be pretty electrically inclined, but I haven't been around any of the new type hook ups. The TV is hooked into the satellite and DVR as we speak and I am watching great HD television, but I want to hook up my receiver and CD player to enable me to run it all through these Bose Speakers. Very Confused??
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 08:05 PM
    First you need to determine if the Kenwood unit can handle a Component level input. Does the unit have a HDMI port or 3 vertical RCA ports that are Red - Green - Blue?

If not, then you are dead in the water for Video through the Kenwood.

Audio is still a possibility. Does the Kenwood have a fiber optic input or a coaxial input for the Audio?

If it does, then leave the video connections just the way they are. Route the audio from the Satellite controller to the Kenwood and disable the TV's speakers if you can.

Can you get a photo of the back of the Kenwood and the Satellite controller and post to this item via the "Advanced features", please?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 05:29 AM

I would use HDMI for the Video from each unit into TV, then the Audio out on TV into Kenwood receiver, You will need to go in to TV menu, and select variable(or fixed)level.
    Look through:
    www.monstercables.com

select "home theater connection guide"
    then view the connection types and connection guide.
    The guide will tell which audio cable is best for the connections you have.

Dec 2, 2008, 09:06 AM

Before we can determine how to integrate the Kenwood (given its age), we need to see the back of the unit.

Once again a HDMI certified cable will handle both Audio and Video signals.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 01:48 PM

Agreed, a 10 year old receiver likely Doesn't have HDMI.
    Optical, digital, or the red and white are possibly the options, The receiver is what is important for the sound connections.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 06:01 PM

What type audio inputs do you have on the receiver?

Dec 4, 2008, 10:42 AM
    The receiver actually has all the audio connections except HDMI. If I could figure out if I am supposed to go from the Satellite Receiver to the TV or from the Kenwood receiver to the TV. One person says I have to go from the DVR Satellite Receiver to the TV, and one person told me to run an audio coaxial cable from the Kenwood Receiver to the audio out on the TV. I'm really letting this thing get to me, and I know it will work when it's hooked up right. Everything else, (5 Disc Changer, Samsung DVD Recorder/Player, and the AM/FM Radio), and it sounds great through the Bose Speaker and the rKenwood Receiver, but no volumn out of the HD TV set. I'm about ready to pay someone to come out here as bad as I hate to. Thanks for trying to help.

Walt
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 11:48 AM

See if you have a red and white out of TV, and an unused input on receiver.
    HDMI takes care of the audio and video from each unit into TV.

Dec 5, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Well, thanks to all of your help I finally got it by hooking a red and white cable from the AV 1 side of the Kenwood to the input side of the TV and then ran an audio cable from the TV to the DVR Satellite Receiver and it works great if I can figure out how to bypass my TV speakers and just run off the Bose Speakers. Thanks again for your help.
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2008, 11:42 AM

Should be a place in the TV's menu to turn off speakers.

Dec 6, 2008, 08:10 AM

You do not have to bypass the TVs speakers.

Remove the audio (Red/White) connections to the TV.

If the HDMI cable is carrying the audio signals, then you will have to turn the soeakers off.

Dec 7, 2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks donf,

You have been a great help. Thanks to you guys and my persiverance I managed to get er done. Thanks again.

wdavishd

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up vcr to record satellite [ 1 Answers ]

How can I hook up my vcr and satellite receiver to record a show

DVD-PVR Satellite receiver-TV-wireless headset [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Philips HD TV, a Samsung DVD Recorder, Bell Express Vu-PVR and a Sony wireless headset. I have everything working I (at least it appears to be ) except when I plug in the wireless headset, I either get sound on DVD only, Sound on TV only or both. Any suggestions on setup.

How to hook up a dvd player to a dish satellite receiver [ 6 Answers ]

I am wanting to know how to hookup a dvd player to a dish satellite receiver Thank you in advance

Record Satellite? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DVD player, VCR, and Star Choice Satellite (Canadian) hooked up to my newer Sony television. All components are connect and working properly. I cannot get it so I can record anything that is on the satellite TV. I was told with Satellite you can only record the channel you have on which...

View more questions Search