Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fljrc3 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Short in HVAC System Trane
    I have a short in the low volage circuit in my Trane HVAC system.

The ceramic fuse pops when I turn the AC or the heat on.

If I just turn on the Blower motor in manual mode and leave ac and heat in the off position, the fan blows at low speed with no problem.

As soon as I turn on heat or a/c the blower motor speed increases and then in about 15 seconds the fuse blows.

I have visually checked as many wires as I can and I do not see any shorts. Any ideas.

Kind Regards,
    Joe
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
    More info needed,

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...00-284131.html

Nov 30, 2008, 05:05 PM

The Airhandler is a ;

Trane Model# TWE031E13FA1
    Manufacture Date 3/96
    The Outside Unit is a

Trane Model# XL1400
    SUPER EFFICIENT HEAT PUMP
    Model # TWY018A100A3

Nov 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
    The Airhandler is a ;

Trane Model# TWE031E13FA1
    Manufacture Date 3/96
    The Outside Unit is a

Trane Model# XL1400
    SUPER EFFICIENT HEAT PUMP
    Model # TWY018A100A3

Nov 30, 2008, 05:52 PM
    That is a standard unit as far as wiring is concerned but it does have a variable speed motor.

As with all short circuits the removal of a wire to a component can help track it down. What you might do is to sub the ceramic fuse for something cheaper to do your testing with. I have a 1-2 3-4-5 amp mini circuit breakers I use for testing purposes so I do not have to keep replacing the fuse.

Many of the variable speed setups do use a signal from the low voltage section of the circuit board. When you say it pops after about 15 seconds that gives whatever is overloading enough time to cause enough draw on the low volt side to pop the fuse. Since the fuse does not go right away this could be a tuff one to figure out. The circuit board also might have a built in time delay and that would allow for the 15 seconds also.

Outside unit

http://hvactroubleshooters.com/TRANE...%20SERVICE.pdf

inside

http://www.aireng.com/clientuploads/Coils_etc/twe_e.pdf

I hope these manuals help you find and track down the problem.

Nov 30, 2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the manuals.
    Would a short in any of the components, relays, or fan be the cause for the overload or should the problem only be in the low voltage wiring?

Nov 30, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fljrc3 View Post
    Thanks for the manuals.
    Would a short in any of the components, relays, or fan be the cause for the overload or should the problem only be in the low voltage wiring?

Anything that has to do with low voltage should be your target. As I said before some variable speed motors have low voltage used with them als. See attached.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf eginstallman.pdf (355.9 KB, 223 views)

Nov 30, 2008, 06:30 PM

So based on what I have seen and what you have told me, a bad blower and or a shorted wire to the blower motor could overload the low voltage circuit. Right?

Nov 30, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Yes that is a possibility BUT there are other items that could also cause the problem. I was just making you aware of the motor situation. I would isolate the low voltage wires one circuit at a time till the problem is found.
    You could also have a short in one of the low voltage wires going to the outside unit. Sometimes a dog or other animal will chew on those wires outside. You have many items to check/test.

Dec 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Ok I have put a short tester on the system and the circuit keeps breaking. I have disconnected the blower and the breaker keeps popping. I am now ready to start disconnecting low voltage wires one at a time to see which wire must have a short. I have the following wires from the thermostat to the air handler, and then out ot the outside unit.

These are my wires
    B- Blue
    W- White
    R - Red
    T - Brown
    Y - Yellow
    G - Green
    O - Orange
    X2 - Black

Is there any particular order you would recommend disconnecting them and testing them?

Dec 6, 2008, 01:50 PM
    One more question.

Do you have a description for these different letters?

B- Blue
    W- White
    R - Red
    T - Brown
    Y - Yellow
    G - Green
    O - Orange
    X2 - Black

I am trying to change out the old thermostat
    and it just has the following letters on it.
    Can you show me which one of the above letters coorelate with the ones below?

Rc/R = 24VAC power supply
    C = 24vac Common
    Y1 = Compressor Stage1
    Y2 = Compressor Stage 2
    W2 = Auxiliary Heat
    E = Emergency
    O = Cool Mode Powered Reverse Valve
    B = Heat mode powered reverse valve
    G = Fan
    L = System monitor
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 02:35 PM

Have you tried operating the system in the emergency mode? If the fuse does not blow, your problem is definitely in one of the control circuits to the outdoor unit. Check the contactor(s) and reversing valve at the heat pump for evidence of burned coils.

Dec 6, 2008, 03:32 PM
    You are the on site professional. I have supplied you with all the info I have. Since I am not there I cannot do the testing for you or offer you comments on your ability. As I always tell people. It is your equipment and you are working on it. It is difficult if not impossible to be a back seat driver under these circumstances since I want no responsibility if damages occur.

Dec 6, 2008, 03:39 PM
    I have isolated the short to the yellow wire which goes from the airhandler to the outside unit.

It is on the Y circuit and it is called the "1st stage compressor wire"

Any thoughts?

Dec 6, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Yep that is the control wire for the comperssor/fan contactor outside. Could be the coil is shorted. OR other items in the Y control wire circuit.

Dec 6, 2008, 04:17 PM

I am close guys.

I traced the yellow wire at the outside unit and I noticed that the yellow wire goes to the side of the MS (look like the contact points). In the schematic however the yellow wire goes to the printed circuit board of the outside unit. Is this an option or an alternative way of wiring the system?

Dec 6, 2008, 04:23 PM
    The MS stands for the "compressor motor contactor".
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 04:31 PM

If yer pokin' 'round the outdoor unit, you betta pull out the disconnect or shut off the breaker.
    If you have an ohm meter, check the contactor coil with the wires disconnected. Low or no resistance will blow that fuse. See if da coil looks burnt.

Dec 6, 2008, 06:47 PM

Ok I tested the resistance across the coil with the wires connected.

There was 1.8 M Ohms. This is low resistance I believe. Do you know what its resistance should be?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 6, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fljrc3 View Post
    Ok I tested the resistance across the coil withthe wires connected.

There was 1.8 M Ohms. This is low resistance I believe. Do you know what its resistance should be?
    You need to disconnect the wires to the contactor coil to check it's resistance. The wires being connected will give you a false reading.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Decision on new HVAC system [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home last year (9 year old home - roughly 4400sq ft across basement, first and second floors - second system supports one room on first floor and some of the basement - crazy) and have seen high gas and electric bills (we are in the Northeast), so I am planning to purchase a more...

HVAC Trane xv80 blower motor [ 2 Answers ]

Trane XV80 Installed 2002 My blower does not come on; I turned t-stat to fan only; fan motor felt cold to touch and turns freely when spyn: defeateded the safety switch on front; checked voltage at the leads from the circuit board to fan motor for the white and black leads(124 v); Should I...

Trane hvac xr or xl, price? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm just wondering about a price quote that I received regarding a new hvac system. The price given to me was for $7000 for a trane XR-13 3ton A/C unit (with the new refrigerant the r410a not the r22)and an XR-90 120,000 BTU furnace along with all duct work, dampers for a 2 zone system....

How to Choose New Hvac system [ 5 Answers ]

My current system is 10 years old. Apparently I need a new one. There is a leak somewhere in the outside coil that's not repairable. I currently have a 10 year old gas furnace both units are Trane. I live in southern Florida. House is 1400 -1450 sq ft. I'm on a tight budget. I am looking...

Choosing HVAC system [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing a rehab on a three-unit multi-family row house in Baltimore. What is the best HVAC system to consider and why?

View more questions Search