Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fljrc3 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 07:00 PM

I just remove the wires. One from each side of the coil. The reading was 1.2 M Ohms.

What does everyone think?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Just apply 24 volts to it. If it slams shut you know it is working and not fried. If the leads spark a lot when you touch the 24 volts to it then you know it is toast.
    eddie51 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 06:47 PM

fljrc3:
    eddie51 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 07:09 PM

Flrjc3: try removing the y wire first which will isolate ouside low voltage. The condenser unit has low voltage board for condenser fan which I have seen short out.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:57 PM

I have a couple of questions for you if you please. First I assume that you have a furnace with a hot surface ignitor? And next have you ever noticed a test post on the circuit board?

With the low voltage fuse blowing it has to have ssomething to do with the low voltage lines of cor coils.

If I were you I would disconnect the Red, White. Green and yello wires form the low voltage terminals on the circuit board.
    Next I would jumper from the red to the white, hold this about the length of time that it takes for the fuse to blow. If it does blow notice if the hot surface ignitor glowed at all. Also diod the inducer motor on the vent come on and run

If this has not told you any thing I would suggest putting the wires back in place and then try to find the test terminal and follow the instructions on how to use it and see if it will go all the way through the cycle. Notice it will not turn on the gas in the test.

I hope this helps
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 17, 2008, 08:31 PM

The original poster hasn't updated this in over a week. Bringing up old/dead threads is rather pointless as your answers usually fall on deaf ears.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:44 PM

Don't jump to conclusions guys... maybe his internet service is really, really sloooooooow...

Dec 17, 2008, 08:45 PM

Don't you have a variable speed motor to be fondling?
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:49 PM

You call it fondling, I call it Saturday night!

Dec 17, 2008, 08:51 PM

It's only Wednesday. Don't tire yourself out.
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:54 PM

Wednesday? No wonder she's not home.

Dec 17, 2008, 09:00 PM

Knowing VS motors it probably broke down halfway home and can't afford to make it the rest of the way.
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 09:03 PM

Witty... you are proving to be a most worthy adversary for VSM
    fljrc3 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Hi Guys,

Everybody relax. I haven't responded because the weather has been good here in Florida and my wife hasn't forced me up into my little crawl space of an attic to finish working on the HVAC system.

I finally finished this project on Sunday afternoon just prior to the football games.

I pulled one low voltage wire at a time off the printed circuit board at the air handler.

I attached a circuit tester across the low voltage fuse wiring and contiued removing one wire at a time until the short went away. As I mentioned before it was the yellow wire that went to the contactor coil that stop triggering the circuit breaker. I replaced the contactor and the short went away and the system works great.

In addition I replaced the Trane mercury switch thermostat controller with a Lighted Hunter LCD touch screen display. The system works like a new cadillac now.

Thank you all for your support and guidance. You saved me a lot of money, and I got a great education in the process.

Joe C.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 04:23 PM

I knew it all along. It's a gift. Your welcome. 4-11-26-32-38-49.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Decision on new HVAC system [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home last year (9 year old home - roughly 4400sq ft across basement, first and second floors - second system supports one room on first floor and some of the basement - crazy) and have seen high gas and electric bills (we are in the Northeast), so I am planning to purchase a more...

HVAC Trane xv80 blower motor [ 2 Answers ]

Trane XV80 Installed 2002 My blower does not come on; I turned t-stat to fan only; fan motor felt cold to touch and turns freely when spyn: defeateded the safety switch on front; checked voltage at the leads from the circuit board to fan motor for the white and black leads(124 v); Should I...

Trane hvac xr or xl, price? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm just wondering about a price quote that I received regarding a new hvac system. The price given to me was for $7000 for a trane XR-13 3ton A/C unit (with the new refrigerant the r410a not the r22)and an XR-90 120,000 BTU furnace along with all duct work, dampers for a 2 zone system....

How to Choose New Hvac system [ 5 Answers ]

My current system is 10 years old. Apparently I need a new one. There is a leak somewhere in the outside coil that's not repairable. I currently have a 10 year old gas furnace both units are Trane. I live in southern Florida. House is 1400 -1450 sq ft. I'm on a tight budget. I am looking...

Choosing HVAC system [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing a rehab on a three-unit multi-family row house in Baltimore. What is the best HVAC system to consider and why?

View more questions Search