Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olivrs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Honeywell CT87k
    Recently my entire building (converted house-three apartments) had an issue with our heat. The landlord called a guy in and it was resolved for everyone but my apartment. We had a different thermostat which was cranked up to 90 degrees, and only producing what (it said) was 69 degrees (I checked with another thermometer--it was more like 60.) So our landlord had our thermostat replaced (with the Honeywell CT87k) and it worked fine--the room was heated to the exact temperature I called for.

Now, however, I'm having the same problem. (Just started last night) It was working fine for almost a week, so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should check? The heat isn't off entierly--it's 35 F outside, and roughly 62 F in here, but the baseboard heaters are fairly cold (lukewarm) to the touch.

For wiring, I can see four wires coming out of the wall: Black, Yellow, Green and Red. The Black is in the 'R' slot, the Yellow is in the 'W' slot. The 'Y' (which I believe it's supposed to be since it's for cooling, which this thermostat doesn't do.) The Green wire isn't connected to anything, and the Red loops back into the hole they're all coming out of, and I can't see the end to know if it's jumped to anything or not.

I'm assuming it's a thermostat issue, and not an issue with the furnace. (Considering it's only my apartment that seems to be having issues.)

Any and all help as to what to try/look at would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!:)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Call the landloard and tell him your unit is cold. Do not assume it is a thermostat problem. The thermostat controls pumps,electric valves and other deviced designed to work and deliver hot water to your unit.

By messing with your thermosat/wires etc. you are opening the door for you to get blamed for the problem and the associated repair costs and as a renter you do not want to go there.
    shannekawoods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 04:52 PM

Actually we just bought this product and its doing the same thing! The heat will come on but it won't shur off! We have a black, white and red wire and tried a million different combos. I don't assume it is the thermostat I know it's the thermostat. CT87K was a very dissapointing problem and I hate to see so many complaints about it...
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 05:32 PM
    There have been thousands of them hooked up with no problems. It is always a possibility to get a bad one no matter which thermostat you buy. Could be a quality control problem in China. Everybody is so cheap today they would not spend the money for a good American made product so its off to China they go and so goes the quality control.
    joepro15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 01:29 AM
    Seams like the thermostat just is no good... never should have changed the way they were my old honeywell lasted 30yrs... I have tried 3 so far,, none worked right... maybe its time to sell my stock in the comp.& find a new brand...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I install a new Honeywell RTH230B from Honeywell T8195B [ 1 Answers ]

Good evening. Our old thermostat was model T8195B which came with wires C,Y,W,R & G. has no rererence as to where they hook up. The new one RTH230B doesn't say where these wires go. I've removed the Rc/Rh jumper according the instruction manual. Nothing went on at all. What can I go Thank...

Replacing a Honeywell T8575D2003 with a Honeywell RTH8500. Having trouble with wires [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing a Honeywell T8575D2003 with a Honeywell RTH8500. Didn't think there would be issues, manuals are all straight forward. However when I removed the T8575, the wiring set up did not match what the RTH8500 was expecting. The T8575 has 8 wires connected as follows < 1 ...

Install Honeywell RTH230B, Removing Honeywell Q674L [ 2 Answers ]

I am removing a old (1987) Honeywell Mercury THermostat Q472L Base that has W, R, Y, G, B, O. The RTH230B has Rc (which I assume to be B), Rh (which I assume to be R), Y (to Y), W(to W), G (to G). I have no idea what to do with the O (which I read could be the Changeover. Do I just tape it up...

Installing Honeywell RTH6300B from an older 7 wire Honeywell. PROBLEMS [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am new here. I found this site which trying to troubleshoot my problem. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated. Basically I have an older honeywell programmable thermostat with 7 wires attached. They are as follows... C - Black wire L - Blue wire R- Red wire W2 - brown...

Replacing Honeywell T8411R with Honeywell RTH7500 - wiring problems [ 1 Answers ]

I need help getting my new, programmable thermostat to work. I currently have a dual-stage Heat Pump and A/C unit that works fine. The current thermostat is the Honeywell T8411R. I don't know the number for the subbase, but it's the one that came with the thermostat. The current (operational)...

View more questions Search