Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melloboi23 Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 30, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Proposing and I know nothing about rings or engagement.
    Ok me and my girlfriend have been together for two and a half years and I was looking around for an engagement ring. I've bought her a nice promise ring way back and was almost scammed because I knew nothing about the metal or cut or carrot. Now I'm not going to propose right away but I would like to get the ring I will probably wait for another year or more or until we are both out of college. I want to start now though so price isn't an issue. Im looking for a good ring up to 2000$. Any advice on the proposal or the ring will graciously be accepted.
    sisterwoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 10:47 AM

I would recommend a little bit of internet self education concerning the different types of gold, platinum, titanium that can be used in today's wedding bands. It also would not hurt to investigate the different types of diamonds, grading, flaws and cuts.
    The ring should not break the bank, or in today's economic crisis put the credit card in jeopardy. It might be a lot nicer to wait until the economy becomes a little more stable, and this may happen after you graduate from college.
    A reputable smaller town jeweler is a good place to get honest opinions and an education also, while finding out what your girlfriends preferences for style, design and cut are.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 11:07 AM

Like sisterwoman said, educate yourself not only on ring metals, gem cuts, and sizes/weights (carats, not carrots), but also take your girl to a small jewelry store and look at the possibilities, have her try some on, find out what she likes, and even what size her finger is.

From what I've read, this is a buyer's market, even in gems. People are selling and pawning jewelry for cash, so you might be able to get a good price on something that can be resized at a jeweler's, if need be. Also, it doesn't have to be a diamond, and your girl might prefer something else. Ask her.

Dec 14, 2008, 12:41 PM

Thank you I kind of know her style its silver not gold so I figured like either a silver, platnium, or paladium ring. Paladium is almost as precious as platnium and has the same luster but is near as hard and durrable as titanium. She likes broad rings with small diamonds. More like the rings with multiple built in diamonds rather then the typical engagement ring with a singular large stone. But I am easily persuaded and I'm farely ignorant when it comes to diamonds so I'm fearfull of being ripped off and giving her a ring worth nothing.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by melloboi23 View Post
    Ok me and my girlfriend have been together for two and a half years and i was looking around for an engagement ring. I've bought her a nice promise ring way back and was almost scammed because i knew nothing about the metal or cut or carrot. Now i'm not going to propose right away but i would like to get the ring I will probably wait for another year or more or until we are both out of college. I want to start now though so price isnt an issue. Im looking for a good ring up to 2000$. any advice on the proposal or the ring will graciously be accepted.

I thought you were in middle school. No?

Dec 14, 2008, 01:41 PM

No I'm a senior in high school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

From engagement rings to break up? My story [ 103 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had been dating for just over 2 years... we had a wonderful relationship for the most part. In January we started to argue a bit- mostly because his partying habits had escalated recently. I mentioned it to him and he said he had been unhappy about fighting too... so much so that...

Canadian laws on returning engagement rings [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend proposed to me. I announced the news to my family and friends. Now he`s calling off the engagement and wants the ring back. I feel it was given to me with a promise that HE is breaking so I don`t really want to give it back. Legaly do I have to? I`m from Ontario, Canada.

Engagement rings [ 10 Answers ]

Does a woman in Virginia have to get back an egagement ring back?

Proposing in a different country [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased an engagement ring and would like to propose to my girlfriend while we are travelling in Europe. Do you have any recommendations on how best to do this? I'm not particularly comfortable carrying around an expensive ring while backpacking around Europe, but if that's my best bet,...

No Dial Tone, But When Calling Rings and Rings [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a two line jack that was working fine a few days ago, but now Line 2 has no dial tone and when calling, it rings and rings. Also, on my Panasonic 2 line phone (KX-TG2740), the line shows up as off the hook, except when I try a test call to the number. Tried another phone and...

View more questions Search