jimF Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Odor smell
    I have a mold smell coming from the water, {well]
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2008, 05:53 AM
    "CHLORINATION STEPS"

1. "Calculate amount of chlorine,(pool chlorine) needed to establish a concentration of 100 pm chlorine for coliform and non-coliform bacteria... or " (using liquid household bleach, 5.25% sodium hypochlorite) " ... More chlorine may be necessary if the watr is turbid or with high organic material ... "

"Depth of water in well" 150 feet: 6 inch diameter 1 quart plus 3 cups; 8 inch diameter 3 quarts.

2. "Remove the well casing cap. Be careful not contaminate the cap. Pour the liquid chlorine down the well casing, rinsing the walls thoroughly. If you have a hose nearby, flush hose water down the well until you can smell chlorine come out of the hose. This will mix the chlorine with the well water. If you do not have a hose nearby, then dilute the chlorine in 10 gallons of water and pour it slowly down the well, washing the casing wall. Recap your well."

3. "Run water though every tap in the house, including tubs, utility sinks, showers and toilets, until you can smell chlorine. Let the chlorinated water sit in the lines for a minimum of 12 hours, preferably 24 hours. Do not use chlorinated water for pets, house plants, bathing or clothes washing.

4. "After 12-24 hours, discharge the chlorinated water onto a lawn or unused land area until you no longer smell chlorine. Do not empty into streams, ditches, or lakes, or into your septic system. The little remaining chlorinated water in house water lines can be emptied into your septic system or city sewer. You can now use the water."

5. "If your water was very contaminated, you may want to boil your drinking and tooth brushing water until you are certain the problem is solved. Add a teaspoon of bleach to your dish rinse watr and allow dishes to air dry. Ice made from contaminated water is not safe and must be discarded. Showers and clothes washing should not pose a health risk.

"RETESTING" "

After flushing out the chlorine and waiting a minimum of three days, preferably seven days, you should have your water tested. Obtain a test kit from the lab, or make arrangements with a registered sanitarian. You may need to chlorinate more than one with heavy contamination."
    Hope this helps and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 07:27 AM

If you have a hose nearby, flush hose water down the well until you can smell chlorine come out of the hose.

I'm leary about that step. If your casing does not go all the way down the well, which I understand is pretty common, then running water down the well runs the risk of damaging the walls of the well. I experienced that myself and ended up pumping mud/muddy water for several hours before it cleared up. I would mix the bleach with two or three gallons of water, then pour it in. This will make sure most of the bleach makes it to the water. Then run water down your driveway (or wherever) until you smell bleach.

Be prepared to run a lot of water before the chlorine smell goes away. However, it is worth doing for sure.

One more point. If you have a bladder type pressure tank, call the manufacturer first to make sure that chlorine will not damage the bladder. Some will tolerate it, but others will not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dirty Foot Odor smell [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has said that he smells something in our house that smells like dirty foot? He's smells in our living room and then the bedroom, the bedroom is above the garage and laundry room. The living room is at the top of the stairs. I thought he was crazy because I do not smell it. But then a...

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Smell/odor near toilet [ 2 Answers ]

My house has a septic system which was cleaned a year ago. The bathrooms are very clean. Recently, I've noticed a faint urine-like smell in on the bathrooms. Is it the seal on the toilet? Something else? Thanks

Musty odor smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a musty odor smell in my house for a couple of weeks. It seems like it is coming from our heating vents. We had problems with tiny nats flying around. Our plumbing was out and said they were drain nats and filled our drains with this gel. They disappeared but now they are back. Could...

Body odor smell in play room [ 1 Answers ]

I've noticed a very strong body odor smell in the children's playroom the past couple of evenings. Of course when I first noticed it, I cleaned out everything, trying to find the source and found nothing, the smell went away... then yesterday evening it came back. I cannot locate the source. The...

View more questions Search