Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DebN1962 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 01:21 AM
    Oxycotin Addiction
    My daughter states she's addicted to pain killers. She wants to quit. She just asked for help. Which is half the battle I believe. I know nothing on the subject. However, she wanted money to get soboxtin. Is this safe? She wants help but doesn't want to be treated with counseling as she knows she has a problem... How can I help her?
    D
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 01:32 AM

Based on what I just read on soboxtin,it sounds like the meds used for this addiction.

Subutex and Suboxone: Questions and Answers

As to being treated by therapy,has she stated the reason,other than she knows she has a problem?Misdiagnosing your own problem and self-treatment aren't conducive to long term recovery.

NA meetings and in house treatment is suggested from the first.

Detoxing from any addiction like this can be deadly!This is a fact,not a myth.

You have to be the clear thinker in this situation,your opinions and guidance have to be the deciding factors in your daughters recovery,treat her as a baby,taking her first steps.

This may be a tough time for you,and her,but in the end,recovery is quite a relief to all around the addict.

I hope this helps you see a little about this disease,and I will be back in the AM to see if we can discuss this further.(it's 2:32 AM my time,got to get some sleep... :) )

KBC
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 10:00 AM

Unless she is under the supervision of a doctor, keep your money in your pocket. Check, and verify anything she says, for your own peace of mind!

Nov 30, 2008, 01:28 PM
    I assume she is on Oxy. She states she cannot sleep, has sweats and muscle cramps.
    She stated she wants to be seen by a doctor (outpatient only) especially since she has a job now and likes it. We want her to drop her boyfriend who she followed into this mess. She use to be a leader versus a follower so... this is difficult for us to see her like this.

Are you someone who knows first hand? I'm ignorant and naïve. I just want her to get help. I've given her the #'s to the drug/alchol clinics in her area. She did say she had to act fast. Because I assume the withdrawal will only get worse. She did say this was serious.

D

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Based on what I just read on soboxtin,it sounds like the meds used for this addiction.

Subutex and Suboxone: Questions and Answers

As to being treated by therapy,has she stated the reason,other than she knows she has a problem?Misdiagnosing your own problem and self-treatment aren't conducive to long term recovery.

NA meetings and in house treatment is suggested from the first.

Detoxing from any addiction like this can be deadly!This is a fact,not a myth.

You have to be the clear thinker in this situation,your opinions and guidance have to be the deciding factors in your daughters recovery,treat her as a baby,taking her first steps.

This may be a tough time for you,and her,but in the end,recovery is quite a relief to all around the addict.

I hope this helps you see a little about this disease,and I will be back in the AM to see if we can discuss this further.(it's 2:32 AM my time,got to get some sleep...:) )

KBC
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 05:25 PM

Don't be overly alarmed by the 'act fast' attitude.This could be a ploy to manipulate you.

And, Yes,I have been there and done that with drug addiction,I have been attending NA meetings for many years,helping with other addicts,seeing what happens throughout the recovery process.I am not above learning more.

The medication she asked for was not something I have personal experience with,that is why I had to read up on it.

How can we help you?

We will caution you on giving ANY financial assistance,CASH for instance.

If she needs meds,have the pharmacy charge your credit card,if it is cash for food... go buy it for her,do not give cash.

An addict will do ANYTHING to keep an addiction going,even take from their own.Nothing has more draw than an addiction,it will break down every moral you have,end every relationship due to your need to feed it,instead of caring for anyone else... In the end my addiction was a career,not a drug problem,I had to work for what I needed,every dollar went to my using.

Before you have a bigger problem on your hands,seek AL-ANON meetings in your area.

I can help you find them if I knew your general metro area.

Please continue writing back,I am interested in the assistance we can all give in here,and 1 addict relieved of this burden is one more that will live to help another.

KBC

Nov 30, 2008, 05:48 PM
    We have already told her no cash. And anything done we will need to pay directly, see her paycheck and given to us so we can help, and so on. She agreed. We have already been manipulated, lied to and she has chosen her boyfriend over us many times.

I don't understand the thought process. She states this is serious - serious in her addiction or just what? She states she's in debt at Money tree, and overdrawn at the bank.

Or is the withdrawal sympstons serious too? What I have read on line if you quit cold turkey - and not come down from it gradually there are serious complications?

I'm from Poulsbo, Washington - across the water from Seattle. Don't know if there is anything local. Also drug/alcohol treatment centers- I don't know if she can do this by outpatient? Not knowing the "seriousness" She just does not want to lose her job. She's 19 yo.
    Her friends know everything so its difficult to get through to her...
    D
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 06:02 PM

Al Anon - (425) 348-7828 - Everett, WA - 21.61mi

Al-Anon Family Groups - (425) 348-7828 - Mukilteo, WA - 20.02mi

Alateen & Al-Anon Information - (206) 625-0000 - 1402 3rd Ave, #803, Seattle, WA - 16.80mi -

To get you started on locations.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 06:06 PM

I am not aware of what suboxtin is.

I did have a friend that was addicted to oxycontin.

The meds to get her off the oxys were even more addictive than the drug.

Just please be careful when choosing her meds.

God bless and best of luck to you and your daughter.

Nov 30, 2008, 06:24 PM

Thank you for the info. Hopefully help and the end to this drama for her and I will be healed. Without further reprocussions.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DebN1962 View Post
    Thank you for the info. Hopefully help and the end to this drama for her and I will be healed. Without further reprocussions.
    Glad to be of assistance,and hey! Don't be a stranger to Ask Me Help Desk,we would all like to see how this turns out for you both!

:) kbc
    tfrog Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 06:38 PM

Ah, the wonders of modern medicine.
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Nov 30, 2008, 08:59 PM

If she goes to the doctor and tells him about her addiction he is likely to prescribe her suboxone. It is much safer than methadone. Suboxone just blocks the opiate 'transmitters' and also doesn't get you 'high' like methadone does. Get her into a 90-120 day treatment facility and they will detox her and counsel her.
    luvyrkez Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 09:19 PM

I just watched a show tonight about this. Here is a link that might help you. Homepage

Nov 30, 2008, 10:35 PM

She just called me and stated she is off work tomorrow and knows what she has to do. She will be calling the clinic. So we shall see.
    D

Dec 2, 2008, 07:20 PM

So my daughter goes to the doctor and he tells her he has seen worse cases then her, and that she shouldn't even be there. So immediately I call the clinic and ask for them not to unravel this, she has admitted she has a problem and wants help. If a professional tells her she has no problem, she may think this is no big deal. No call back from the doctor...
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 07:27 PM

This is almost getting to be a legal concern.

But I could be wrong,I have been before.:)

Is the doctor in a medical group?If so,try to address your concern to his higher ups,the chain of command needs to know if their personnel did something possibly out of line.

OR,take her to a different clinic.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 08:54 PM

That sounds ridiculous! I agree with KBC don't let this go and in the meantime find another clinic. I can't comprehend a dr telling somebody that wants help with an addiction to not worry about it.
    Other than they want people hooked on taking medications but if they take it more than prescribed then it should be considered an addiction. They call oxycotin 'hillbilly heroin'
    Would a dr tell someone they aren't an alcoholic just because they only drink a six pack a day where other alcoholics drink a case a day?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Forget fighting the good fight, its obvious he will not prescribe her anything, so move to the next options, a second opinion, or evaluation by a trained clinician.

Worry about lawsuits, and complaints later, for now get the facts, to deal with your daughters problem.

Drug therapy for addiction, is not always a viable treatment. A rehab is my first choice,where there will be monitoring. A doctor is crucial, for any drug therapy, as even Suboxone, is addictive, and must be monitored by someone who is trained to deal with the withdrawals.

I think you should educate yourself, with the facts on addiction, and the games addicts can play, or your dealing with this whole thing blindly. Call your local Narcotics Anonymous chapter, and get some guidance. They know how and where to go for help.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
    I thought it was perhaps just me... wondering if this was protocol or if she took it out of context. I had to tell my daughter tonight that he probably meant that she came in at the right time, and before things got worse. And perhaps he was disappointed.. seeing her so young.

If she is spending all of her money towards the habit, and coming to us for help, and because she hates feeling this way, rotten gut, sleeplessness, and muscle spasms - she has a problem. Its withdrawal from everything I've read. Its consuming her life, and of course for the last two years it has pulled our family apart, we suspected but she was so defiant and into her "friends". It explains a lot.

She goes back on Thursday, and if things are not better I have another doctor lined up.

This doctor is 1 of 3 in Kitsap County apparently. The other doctor who came highly recommended is on a 6 months. Waiting list - which I said was ridculous because what if the person needs help now?? And the outpatient clinics were no help- they told me a GP could prescribe and treat her... that somewhat turned me off, that I knew more than they did. I'll keep you informed. She has given the clinic permission to release information to me (that she has gone and is following the program). If she doesn't the money stops for groceries and bills or anything else she should need.

D
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 06:12 AM

Rehab is the best choice for her it sounds like.
    Another drug to substitute for a drug of choice really isn't good as Talaiman said. No matter what the dr said or how he meant it he should have been more supportive AND given her all the options and referred her to counseling, rehab places, etc...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oxycotin Addiction [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how long Oxycotin stays in your system and would show up in an UA? What is the longest time that withdrawals can last? Severe stomach pains is one sign of withdrawal can you tell me if that can come from taking them the normal way? Or can this be from snorting them, shooting...

After effects of oxycotin [ 5 Answers ]

I took a half of a 80mg oxycotin 2 nights ago and woke up today light headed and draggy. Is this a side effect and if so how long will it last?

Oxycotin addiction [ 15 Answers ]

I have been on oxycotin sense my back surgery 2 months and 11 days ago.I take 20 mgs 3 times a day.Do you think I'm addicted?:confused:

Addiction to Oxycotin [ 3 Answers ]

How long does Oxycotin stay in your system? Can you do something toalter a drug test?

Adictted to oxycotin [ 13 Answers ]

I want to know how to get off oxycotin with out having to go through withdraws please help me

View more questions Search